On v3.3 of Knoppix(Knx for short) captive (a program) is not included. Only the experimental 3.4 edition has it. I don't know whether I should just go back to v3.3 since this one has no gtk-qt theme, and the v2.6 kernel does not have a tulip module.
Printable View
On v3.3 of Knoppix(Knx for short) captive (a program) is not included. Only the experimental 3.4 edition has it. I don't know whether I should just go back to v3.3 since this one has no gtk-qt theme, and the v2.6 kernel does not have a tulip module.
I've been trying captive NTFS with the new c't Knoppix 3.4. So far, no luck.
I finally got the search routine to find the ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe files by manually copying them into /var/lib/captive, and I was able to mount the drive using the "mount" command in a root shell. I specified the captive ntfs file type in the mount command. I could then read the drive, but couldn't write to it.
Has anyone else had experience with this? If I can get captive working when running from the CD, it will be great for fixing crashed XP boxes.
Arkaine23, or anyone else :D
Has anyone been able to get a copy of 3.4 yet? From what I can find it may not be out for another month or more. ??
Thanks again
Paul
the captive system sounds interesting but just keep an eye on the license issue as it makes use of Microsoft stuff. So, the ntfs.sys etc. should never be in any distribution and in order to use it(say for rescue), the distribution would need the linux ntfs driver(in order to read NTFS) then find the necessary files on the harddisk and mount again with capture using the MS drivers.
Modified 3.4 cebit version is going up on the overclockix site today and will be finished uploading tonight. I have not tested captive NTFS yet. At first I included the drivers on the CD, but then thought better of it and removed them. You can import them, or download them using the captive-NTFS tool.
http://overclockix.octeams.com
Announcement will go on the site later tonight and download link will appear around 8 or 9 pm CST. This is still a beta version.
Thanks for the link! I'll get in line tonight.
Paul
I've no doubt you are swamped now, but thought to ask if you get a momemt free :?
I've been unable to download from the link on your web site, tho the other two files there will download thus I don't believe it's a bandwidth or cumlative byte limitation. Is the link really down?
Also you indicated you were going to remove the NTFS write components but that we could download them seperately. Would I just go to the Captive web site and grab that offering? I'm trying to ( of course :roll: ) get as stable a product as I can to play with and wanted to get the same component which Knx 3.4 will have when it comes out next month.
Thanks for all your help.
Paul
There was a typo in my link, and it's been fixed. However I did catch a few bugs with the kmenu and kicker icons, so I'm uploading another iso overnight and will change the link around noon CST. If you prefer using KDE, then you might want to wait until tomorrow.
The way captive works is- click on the link for Captive NTFS from the menu. It searches your filesystem for the windows drivers and kernel, and if it does not find them prompts you to import them from a removable media or download them out of Win XP service pack1. it will do this connection automatically and grab the files, saving them to ramdisk (where they take up about 3.5 mb).
Then you'd need to manually mount your NTFS partition using -t captive-ntfs as in this example command-
mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
Arkaine:
I was able to get the image however see today that all downloads are off line. Were you the only one who offered this BETA? Even if only the 600 or so who have viewed this thread went to grab the file it still would be a strain... if you accept donations to help with the overhead of your site send me a private email and I'll do my small bit ( no, not song and dance :lol: ). I appreciate your efforts and the time spent..
Paul
My host maxed out after just 24 hours. We are now sharing the files on Bittorrent. However the latest iso's have not been seeded yet.
My dev team is helping me out to get these things out there. I am moving this week so I'll try to get a bugfix release up tonight, but there may be some delays for the rest of the week.
I will try to get the links on my site changed today and post a notice about the use of bittorrent.