They also translated it into Chinese ... lolQuote:
Originally Posted by Rink
-t-
Printable View
They also translated it into Chinese ... lolQuote:
Originally Posted by Rink
-t-
AJ, I was just poking around the new release of 3.6, and encountered KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> "Install Software (while running from CD)". One of the menu choices is apt-get. Looks like Fabian left you an easter egg.Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
This is news to me. I don't recall seeing anything about this before.
I've been trying to update the WIKI a little, and came across this thread. As far as I can tell, not much has been put there about apt. Does anyone know of other resources that would be good to integrate?
jd
Oh, man. Just did apt-get update with poor man's. 2damcool
jd
I believe from other help i have gotten from this forum that you need KNoppix to be installed on the harddrive to install any packages, or at least .deb pckages.
Superstoned said:
Code: man apt-get
gives manual of apt-get. you can use this for every command!
but when I enter it:
# man apt-get
it returns the following:
gzip: stdout: No space left on device
man: command '/bin/gzip -dc /usr/share/man/man8/apt-get.8.gz> /tmp/zmanGYqwiN'
failed with exit status 256
No manual entry for apt-get
I need more than "good luck..." :? I need a teenage geek :wink:
The man entries that I have seen are rather cryptic and presuppose knowledge that this newbie does not have. Is there a manual on how to understand the manual??
dad :cry:
Thanks for this tutorial.
I've been having my own apt-get issues. I recently installed Abiword, a very nice word processor. I can even create PDF files with it.
My problem is that now when ever I want to install quite a number of packages including:
KDE 3.4
Mplayer
just to name two,
I get an apt-get message saying that it will now remove the 7 Abiword packages that make up that installation in order to complete the installation of whatever it is I'm installing.
I can get around this by installing programs as Deb files. But it is getting frustrating.
I don't want to remove Abiword.
What to do? And why is this happening?
sakiZ
This link did not work for me. And I certainly need another tutorial, because I am still trying to install the AdobeReader 7.0 RPM. I was told to use alien and see README.deb which I was not able to find. I finally typed alien [path&file name] and created a .deb pkg, but Kpackage does not install it.Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast
I need this for my Online Tax Forms, so my time is getting tight!!
Help I need a Dummies Guide.
dad
have a problem : i want to upgrade mai os with this command : apt-get upgrade
when it finnish the download status it write this ...
Unpacking libx11-6 (from
.../libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite
`/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/ximcp.so.2',
which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)
Unpacking libxext6 (from
.../libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.4',
which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)
Unpacking libice6 (from
.../libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3',
which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
I found that document on this link http://www.bglug.ca/articles/how_to_...l_software.pdfQuote:
Originally Posted by JPsDad
-jj
Okay, I have a "beginner" "knoppix-installer" HDD install.
One of the suggestions was apt-get update. Well, I had tried that with devastating results, via dselect.
Essentially, it immediately wanted to eliminate all kinds of stuff like kdebase, upgrade other stuff, and so on. A lot of the upgrades were not able to be found, a lot of others stepped on the toes of preexisting packages and would not be installed.
So for the first case, I had to do without. For the second case, I had to deinstall the preexisting package, configure the broken selection, and then reinstall the preexisting package.
So far, so good.
But when I went to reboot the system, I found that all the autodetection was broken; it spent 5 minutes trying to hook up random modules and erroring out; and the mouse was permanently broken. My solution? To try to reinstall knoppix, which wanted to erase the HDD. With as much broken as there was, it was inordinately difficult for me to save our home directories -- I ended up just formatting over it. I didn't lose everything, because we keep a lot of stuff on the Windows side, as well.
But having reinstalled knoppix, I am now trying again to do a dselect get-update, fresh, to see better what happens.
Meanwhile, if others have suggestions -- including how to undo dselect requests for an update -- I'd be glad to hear of it.
And to those who are arguing how you learn, that's how *I* learn. Not by man, not by asking questions, but by blowing it up and then examining all the little pieces, and finally publishing and asking for opinions. The nuclear physicist method, if you will. Flame away, when you get done rofling.
<<somebody please show me how to upgrade kde once i installed knoppix in my hdd. i'd like to install it and get kopete since gaim still cannot connect to yahoo. pretty please?>>
Gaim connects to Yahoo.
Just set up your Yahoo account on the Yahoo website and then click on Gaim, select Yahoo, and type in your name and password.
sakiZ
Guys, is it possible for me to use dpkg to create a .deb file from my Knoppix 4.0 DVD? The reason I ask is because I have a Debian installation that does not have high speed internet and I would love to be able to install some of the application found on the Knoppix 4.0 DVD without having to install Knoppix. Can I boot from the DVD, create .deb package files on the hard drive or a memory stick, and then use that to install the package on the Debian PC? I am running Debian Sarge installed on the remote PCs hard drive.
Let me see if I undertstand your concept. You want to: Use an existing installed Knoppix to create/build a installable .DEB file from the filesystem to then be installed on Debian 3.1 sarge because you do not have a high speed internet connection.
I will not say that it could never be done, but I will say that it probably can't be done easily.
A script was developed for those who do not have a high speed internet connection. It is called apt-zip. You can install it on your machine by running:
apt-get install apt-zip
It contains two main scripts: apt-zip-inst and apt-zip-list
View the manpage: man apt-zip-inst
See also http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/apt-zip.html
As a sidenote, I must also say that Knoppix 4.0 is pulling from Debian's testing & unstable repositories while your Debian 3.1 sarge installation is most likely pulling packages from the stable repository. Mixing packages from different repositories is OK as long as you understand that the words testing & unstable are really what they mean. Testing/Unstable may break/messup a packages on your system.
Ok, thanks for that, I will try the apt-zip package as that seems to be what I am looking for.
The reason this came up is because there are lots of intereting utilities etc on the 4.0 DVD that I would like to have on this Debian installation.
Thanks for your answer.
Is there a way to list all current installed packages?
I have an odd problem. After a major upgrade using apt-get somehow my Xserver got messed up. I then went to xfree86 and downloaded and installed the most uptodate version of xfree86. This was probably a big mistake, but water under the bridge and all that.
Anyway I can run twm with no problems but kde is unstable. Can I undo all of this and reinstall the xorg based (?) version of Xserver?
I've tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but this doesn't even open a window and just thinks for a moment and returns my command prompt.
Thanks for any help,
Freitag :)
I see the last date in this topic is from awhile ago, most questions can be answered by reading other posts. I know to use apt-get instead of kpackage cause kpackage doesn't seem to prompt you about removing a whole bunch of packages when installing one like apt-get. I know that you have to see what is being removed and upgraded when you run apt-get update && upgrade or yes you will lose some functionality like xorg. All I need to know is what is the latest source list for knoppix, Is it what I already have in my list if I have the latest version of knoppix from 6/2, I seen a source list section somewhere I already had those though. where is a post about figuring out how to get around when you try to install a package and it tries to remove way too much? I mean is this part of the warning about installing knoppix as the Livecd straight to hard-drive dilemna I saw the warnings about? Is there a way to get around this? EX.-tried to install newest version of firefox and it tried to remove everything but the kitchen sink so I declined. Just tell me where to read, I know it's somewhere just couldn't find it, already read the apt-get tutorials.
perhaps this could be a new thread? "How to resolve apt-get conflict problems."
I've been trying "apt-get -f autoremove libisc50- " etc. etc., with a long list of packages each with a "-" at the end, and it hasn't worked. I may have missed something, but this instruction isn't entirely clear to me.
apologies if this has already been posted/solved elsewhere.
I don't know why what you're doing should have failed, but if you post more details perhaps we can advise. On the other hand, you may be encountering a widely-reported problem, as mentioned by another user here. I would also note in passing the existence of tools other than apt-get for system maintenance, namely aptitude and synaptic - both of which are included with Knoppix out-of-the-box. Perhaps one of them could be useful here.
Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:
I hoped to find some good, up to date info on package admin in this thread, but I could not see much. There is a need for a sticky package tools thread here, but maybe start a new one?
Here is a nice introduction I found: http://maketecheasier.com/become-an-apt-guru/2009/02/24.
Should we try to use aptitude instead of apt-get?
From the link:
That article is from 2009. Anyone having experiences/viewpoints?Quote:
Aptitude/Apt-get
There’s some debate and confusion regarding these two tools. Many Linux users have a hard time telling when/why to use one over the other, as they do roughly the same thing.
Short answer: use Aptitude.
Long answer: Both can be used to manage all software installations removals, and both will do a good job. The Debian team officially recommends using Aptitude. It’s not that it’s a LOT better than apt-get, but that it’s a little better, in lots of ways. You can use either one and it will meet your package management needs, but don’t mix and match on the same system. Pick one and stick with it.
Here is a new article, from June:
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/20...nager-for-you/
One important point is that the older warnings against mix'n match aptitude/apt-get are no longer that valid, and with the latest developments, they are about equivalent.
Here is the conclusion:
So, it could seem that there is no longer any big point in choosing one over the other, and for actual use, I can continue with my current practice of mixing dpkg (single .deb packages), aptitude (work with better service), apt-get (as the standard CLI tool) and Synaptic (GUI tool).Quote:
apt-get or aptitude?
First I want to make it clear that you can use both and mix them without problems. It used to be annoying when apt-get did not track which packages were automatically installed while aptitude did, but now that both packages share this list, there’s no reason to avoid switching back and forth.
I would recommend apt-get for the big upgrades (i.e. dist-upgrade from one stable to the next) because it will always find quickly a relatively good solution while aptitude can find several convoluted solutions (or none) and it’s difficult to decide which one should be used.
On the opposite for regular upgrades in unstable (or testing), I would recommend “aptitude safe-upgrade“. It does a better job than apt-get at keeping on hold packages which are temporarily broken due to some not yet finished changes while still installing new packages when required. With aptitude it’s also possible to tweak dynamically the suggested operations while apt-get doesn’t allow this. And aptitude’s command line is probably more consistent: with apt-get you have to switch between apt-get and apt-cache depending on the operation that you want to do, aptitude on the other hand does everything by itself.
Take some time to read their respective documentation and to try them.