Redeagle
Knoppix works from RAM, nothing is saved unless you do it manually.
abyssknight:
i have gotten a 650+ to work, atleast partly. i switched to a NETGEAR MA411 instead. that worked as i put it in, no problem what so ever.
Printable View
Redeagle
Knoppix works from RAM, nothing is saved unless you do it manually.
abyssknight:
i have gotten a 650+ to work, atleast partly. i switched to a NETGEAR MA411 instead. that worked as i put it in, no problem what so ever.
Ok so is there a way to get the true mobile to work in wifi or not...
how do i load it and how do i work it plz.. surely someone has gotten it to work and someone knows how to do it and can tell a slow person like me how to do it..
thanks in advance, i really need to get this wifi working with live cd
thanks thanks
remember need explicit instructions, by the way, knoppix boots fine just no wifi
The truemobile 1300 is a broadcom chipset. I don't believe that there are any OSS drivers for it.
You may have some luck running the windows driver via ndiswrapper.
Not something I've ever tried, as I've always made sure I have fully supported wlan cards (except for my Acer 1705, which I bought for Windows Gaming).
Good Luck.
well i have read that it works but dont understand it all and am trying to get someone who has it working to tell me what to do.. i am sure with all the dell's out there running this wifi that someone has it working and can tell an old dummie like me what to do to make it work
thanks for responding
come on one of u genius tell me what to do to get this up will ya
Ok, I've had a look at a few Inspiroin 5150 linux sites linked from linux-laptops.
One states that you need one of these modules.
Kernel:
2.4:bcm4400 or b44
2.6:b44
(http://www.cs.du.edu/~nsingapu/insp5150/insp_5150.html)
One states that the Truemobile 1300 doesn't work (which is what I thought) as it's Broadcom 4301.
(http://www.lexip.ch/files/inspiron5150.html)
One says use another card.
And yet another can't even get knoppix to boot.
See if you have the modules mentioned above and try them. (I don't have my knoppix box to hand, so I can't check). You may have to recompile a new kernel.
If you find that it's the 4301 card and the 44 modules don't work, I think you will need to buy a supported card.
ok i am really tired of futsin with this, what card can i buy that will work.. i dont know about compiling the kernel so i would like one that is gonna work right off of boot... knoppix boots on my 5100 with no problems acceept the wifi card....
i would prefer to buy it from dell to keep their warranties
thanks for your replies, means allot.. like i said linux noob and dont know how to do anything so need instructions...
thanks
These two work fine:
Dell Truemobile 1150 (Orinoco)
DLink DWL650 (not the DWL650+) (Prism2)
Both are 802.11b
Followed instructions and was successful until /home/knoppix/Desktop/start_net when it bailed out with message that file it was trying to run was compiled with kernel 2.4.22 and my kernel is 2.4.24Quote:
Originally Posted by akaBeaVis
Any (non-technical) assistance greatly appreciated.
I am also running version 3.3
Cheers
Steve
I am working to change to knoppix, but i have a zonet wireless adapter zew2500p. does anyone know weather this will work? or if there is drivers to get that will work?
Ok, still no where with this dell wifi.. has anyone bought any of the cards that walmart carries (only store in town lol) and gotten them to work with knoppix or any other distro..
thanks a million.. i would really love you utilize this laptop with linux as well as windows.. especially a live distro that appears to be so kewl like knoppix..
thanks
I have a dell TrueMobile 1150 card. I am running Knoppix 4.0.2 using a 'beginners' install. However, this is where my situation is a little strange. To boot on my Sony PCG-Z505 laptop, i must disable the PCMCIA slot via a cheatcode (I use the external Sony CD-Rom). This carries over to my hard disk install and I have no access to the PCMCIA slot. Doesn't recognize the card.
How do I change this?
I have an HP 44500ze laptop and a Linksys2.4GHz adapter for notebook, model wpc11 Ver. 4. I have a Winblow$ XP pro installation that it works okay with in the local public library. What I want to do is use the wireless with my Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD distro for surfing from the library and e-mail since i can't use their e-mail server and mine won't see me at the library. I guess I'm not as tech-able as I thought because I've tried the wrappers and i still can not get it to function. Rather than tie up inordinate amounts of time here if someone would kindly point me towards a link, site or wiki that will explain in words of 2 syllables or less how to set this wifi up and hopefully get it to work on an open non-encrypted network.I once got it to see the card, but could not get it to see the network.
TIA and please try not to laugh too loud.:lol:
In Service & In Health,
Captain V. Cautious