Well done Gilles. However, I am trying to boot from a FAT32 disc, and the new ISO is too big for the 4gb limit. Can someone produce a slightly smaller version of Konoppix 4 that will fit a FAT32 format?
Printable View
Well done Gilles. However, I am trying to boot from a FAT32 disc, and the new ISO is too big for the 4gb limit. Can someone produce a slightly smaller version of Konoppix 4 that will fit a FAT32 format?
Thank you. It should be possible and probably quite simple to regenerate an ISO image smaller than 2GB by removing the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2 file which only adds some extra features as eclipse and open office. But although I can do it, my server cannot handle such a large file nor bandwidth...Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek99
Regards, Gilles
Edit: I have done it. Do you have a ftp server I could store it to ?
I found my bugs and I finally got the Knoppix 4.0 minirt_ntfs.gz working !
9GB of preinstalled software out of the 4GB DVD ISO file. Thank you Klaus !
http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/kno40.zip
Please be very careful with the "casing" of the ISO path used in the grub menu.lst,
it has to match the Knoppix ISO filename, see my grub menu.lst:
bootfrom=.../boot/knoppix.40/*.ISO (previous knoppix releases were using .../boot/knoppix.39/*.iso)
Please give me some feedback.
Cheers, Gilles
Gilles,
Just wanted to let you know, with your posted info and files, I was able to get the following working:
boot from hard drive on IBM T40 (knoppix.381)
boot from Lexar 1GB Jumpdrive on T42 (knoppix.39)
This is awesome !!!
Thanks for all the hard work ! :D
Hi, my tablet will not boot Knoppix from a USB cdrom, and I need some help getting the correct commands set in my grub.conf file to boot from my hard drive. I am dual booting my tablet with grub in the MBR. Here is a listing of my partitions:
hd0,0 : ntfs - c: (WinXP)
hd0,1 : ext2fs - / CentOS (Linux) - /dev/hda3
hd0,2 : ext2fs - /boot CentOS (Linux) - /dev/hda2
hd0,4 : linux swap
hd0,5 : fat - d: (WinXP) & /opt (Linux) - /dev/hda6
Where would be the best place to put the Knoppix iso file, or do I need it if I put the loopback file on the fat partition? My grub.conf looks like this:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +!
title CentOS (Linux)
root (hdo,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.EL ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.EL.img
title Knoppix (Linux)
kernel ?????
initrd ?????
If I don't need the .iso, then where do the othe boot files reside and how do I point to them? Sorry if this is off the topic of USB boot drives.
-Jon
Hello,Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_tc1100
You can put the iso, kernel and initrd_NTFS files where ever you like, ntfs, ext2/3 or fat. You just need to update the menu.lst of grub, cf examples of menu.lst within my zip files. If you boot from ntfs you need my compilation of grub which includes the ntfs patch. But in all cases you need to use the initrd_NTFS to boot from the iso file even though you are not booting from a ntfs partition. This initrd_NTFS ramdisk has been modified to boot from the iso file. If you don't need to boot from the iso, you can still boot from the loopback KNOPPIX file, cf knoppix cheatcodes and doc.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
Thank you.
Using your initrd_NTFS file I was able to point my bootloader to the .iso, and it is good to go.
The three lines for me, practically identical to the menu.lst found in your grube.zip files, were:
kernel (hd0,5)/knoppix/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda6/knoppix/knoppix.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,5)/knoppix/minirt_ntfs.gz
boot
...after I had decided where to keep my knoppix files.
Bye!
Since I'm running a server, I want to make sure I get everything right before I attempt this, so I hope you don't mind that I ask some specific questions :)
This is my current set-up:
Right now, I'm running Knoppix 3.9 - the computer booted off the CD, then read the loopback file off /dev/hda5.Code:#mount
[...]
/dev/hda5 on /cdrom type ext2 (ro)
/UNIONFS/dev/hda6 on /ramdisk/home type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota)
/UNIONFS/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/UNIONFS/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000)
I want to switch to Knoppix 4.0 if possible; the problem is, I'm a little short on partitions (or space on the partitions, depending which way you look at it). Thus the first question:
- If one loopback file (as the 4.0 DVD has two) is on /dev/hda1, will Knoppix find the second on /dev/sda1?
I currently have the first (DVD) loopback file in /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX.
- What do I want my grub kernel line to be? Something like this?
- Using this grub set-up will make the harddrive bootable, right? (I've only used LILO, automatically set up for me, before. Sorry for the stupid questions. :oops: )Code:kernel (hd0,0)/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal [more cheatcodes]
Thanks for your time!
Well, First I don't remember if the linuxrc script (inside the initrd ramdisk) can handle different locations (disks) for the two KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 loopback files. This script is quite complex and looks like a patch work, so some times it is easier to just try than to reverse engineer what has been done. In any case you don't need the KNOPPIX2 loopback file to boot, it is only required at run time to have access to the extra applications which couldn't fit in the 2GB of the first KNOPPIX loop back file. Or in other words, use the first KNOPPIX loop back file to boot, and then you can mount (manually or using the knoppix.sh shell script) the second KNOPPIX2 loopback file using UNIONFS. My understanding is that if there is no need to have it mounted at boot time from the linuxrc script, just mount it later...Quote:
Originally Posted by Keilaron
Now about your grub menu.lst config file, you still need to provide the kernel name as the first argument after the kernel keyword, and the Knoppix 4.0 kernel name is linux. So your menu.lst should include something like this: kernel (hd0,0)/linux fromhd=/dev/hda1 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX knoppix_name=KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 ...
Hope this will help. My guess is that it will require more than a single reboot, so please be carefull with you server. And remember that grub have an interactive mode where you can edit (e key) temporarely the config file or just run commands (c key) from the grub prompt. This is very handy to correct a typo when experimenting and still have a bootable system...
Best Regards, Gilles
Thanks, Gilles!
Actually, it worked without any problems whatsoever! Once I found out about grub-install, the whole thing was a breeze.
Installed grub, rebooted the server, and everything came back up without a hitch. =D
(EDIT: Well, actually, KNOPPIX2 wasn't auto-mounted, but I'm not sure I'm even going to be using it anyway.)