I agree with most of the posters on this board; KOffice should be taken out as well as Mozilla in favor of Firefox and Thunderbird. I have to also agree that the games are useless and take up space.
Printable View
I agree with most of the posters on this board; KOffice should be taken out as well as Mozilla in favor of Firefox and Thunderbird. I have to also agree that the games are useless and take up space.
I disagree and think that the games should be kept. espically enigma
Mozilla should stay as well as Firefox. What needs to be cut is every wm besides for kde. If someone wants gnome, that's what gnoppix is for.Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshtika
Nano needs to be included, and I'm guessing it's not that big. However, save your WindowMaker for your Noppix.Quote:
Instead, include WindowMaker, OpenOffice, nano (www.nano-editor.org; why isn't this already in Knoppix?) and Firefox.
:lol:Quote:
I'm still mad knoppix doens't have a paper-clip animation to help me.
This page started off real helpfull.
fabianx, what are th chances of a bare-bones version of 3.4 being made available?
by bare-bones, i mean minimal cloop system; no k*, no x*, no OO, just a bootable cloop system. like the old model_k.
would it be difficult to make this available?
i think that if that were available, there would be spectacular progress in task-oriented flavors of knoppix. the strip down of a full knoppix is pretty time consuming, as i am sure that you know.
how about this. knoppix comes as just the very basic knoppix-specific parts, ie hardware detection etc. along with this would be a new program that would display a list of free/open source software along with a short description of each and a link to the project's website. a person downloads this core setup, runs that program, selects what packages they want, then it fetches the packages from repositories and creates an .iso file ready for burning. this would kill all the kde vs gnome, cd vs dvd, whatever vs whatever birds with one stone. the iso maker would have multiple prefab sets of package selections a user could pick, ie a gnome knoppix, a kde one, a server one, office productivity one, game one, whatever. so downloading and burning knoppix would only take a couple mouse clicks longer than it currently does for most people.
I would like to have a knoppix iso even if it's larger than 700 Mb because I use it on a DVD along with windows 98, 2000, xp, 2003 and the space is not a problem. So, if it is ready and over 700 Mb I still want it as it is. Maybe others will want it also (to put on a DVD or to put on an overburned CD - 800 Mb)
Thanks.
It can be difficult to install packages because of dependencies. Also, settings are lost. For example try to apt-get open-office: Menu Fonts are small, Language packs??? ...
Please put stripped software and its dependent packages for download on the server (for easy installing via dpkg / apt-get)
Ok, I can understand the fact that deadlines slip away. But:
- 3.4 was supposed to be avail. immediately after CeBiT. For some reason, only a re-master of the CeBiT version emerged.
- Then, after CeBiT is was supposed to be avail in two weeks. It's been over a month.
- A week a go, Klaus himself said basically that he needs to get rid of 65 megs (or whatever) and the thing will be ready in "a few days".
Again, I can understand that (self-proclaimed !) ETAs slip and "it's ready when t's going to be ready". But not like this..
Common. Remove KOffice, LaTeX and whatnot and release it already !
(Frustrated new forum user. Btw, hello all :) )
Klaus is a liar!!!!
Klaus, aren't you? Prove it!!!