Looks like it may be coming this weekend!
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...il/005085.html
Printable View
Looks like it may be coming this weekend!
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...il/005085.html
Whilst one hears well the call of self-restraint over issuing of a new, unfinished distribution, every so often the opposition presents a 24-carat golden opportunity for a penguin take-over. Historically, such events have been missed just because Linux is not a commercial operation and does not benefit(?!) from cutting edge marketing advice and funding.
This week, an extremely serious security boundary error problem in 'doze, transcending the legions of previous flaws, was highlighted by Secunia. Moreover, it was signalled to affect all versions, leading to widespread vulnerability.
This may cloud the issue somewhat concerning K3.4 and other pending kernel 2.6 releases? If they can be brought forward with fanfares ASAP, they might enjoy a free ride on the back of the woes of others? This is the normal strategy operating in the world of evil capitalists. The difference is that they have few qualms about the quality and timeliness of their products, and no constraint over marketing budget in such circumstances.
Weighty decisions indeed.
OG.
Fabian:Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarob
Is it likely to happen? C'mon man, give us an insider scoop ;)
Thanks,
Smith
Did you guys know that sometimes silence can be deafening?
Now what is wrong with everyone here? No posts for two days? Fabianx - not a single line? ;)
Say someting, I am already going nuts.
smith
yup dead silence. Im going nutz too, i wanna do a hd install with 3.4 goddamnit! :)
Well knoppix 3.4 may not be on the mirrors but at least now all the redirects to the mirrors work so you don't have to type in the address manually. Now I can easily check to see if its ready :wink:
I don't know if someone has noticed that this post has been viewed almost 59 THOUSAND times. Does anyone realize what this means once the release is up on the mirrors... ;) That the bandwidth will be bursting full stream, non stop for at least a week if not more. Poor mirrors. :)
One thing keeps me sane though - if Fabianx has no time to read/visit the forum, he is most likely doing the finishing touches with Klaus to make this weekend part of the next release name (Knoppix-3.4-2004-05-02) - oh, how I wish this were true... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Smith
Yes, 59,000 views is pretty amazing. That's what you get with 59 obsessive-compulsive knoppix fans checking the forum every two minutes to see if 3.4 is out. :D This is my 496th time checking, so I am a little behind the average, but I will catch up before the weekend is over.
:D Howdy All,
I would remove KOffice and some of the low graphics games and create Language-specific .iso images. Also, get rid of all the media players except MPlayer, Xine, and XMMS.
Choice is good, and perhaps a "got everything" DVD would be cool. Since we are limited to CDROM image size, getting rid of older, less capable software would be good.
I have been remastering and shrinking Knoppix since the beginning and I use only KDE and XFCE for desktops to save space on my mini-knoppix (<210MB) distros. The other desktops are unecessary unless you must have Fluxbox.
Overall, I would rather see Knoppix get smaller than larger. Specialization of the image is a great idea and some simple scripts can help just about anyone to create a new, customized image that has only the software wanted...
Kevin
I never really understood the real purpose for fluxbox. Does anyone here use it? What for?? :?:
Thanx!