When you chrooted, did you also mount proc?
Printable View
When you chrooted, did you also mount proc?
That's pretty strange. I have never had that soprt of problem with the desktop cheatcodes. Perhaps it's you lingering .xinitrc file in /etc/skel. You could remove it without causing any problems.Quote:
Originally Posted by nvgringo
I hesitate to mess with the root account since I managed to break being able to su without a password just by trying to adjust some things in the KDE control center. So in my remaster, you always have to "sudo su" instead of just "su". Passwords are in /etc/passwd. You could blank out the root password when you're done and it should go back to the way it was. Is using apt-get from the command-line that much of a hassle?
What KDE are you using? If it's 3.2, perhaps this is the cause of the problem. This will affect settings in kdm which is probably the default login mgr.Quote:
Originally Posted by nvgringo
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882
A couple of other checks you could try to see if the other wm's are working OK:
1) Try 'startxfce' or starxfce4' from a KDE Konsole. Usually xfce will start within KDE.
2) try 'xdm' from terminal login. This will start xdm instead of kdm as the login manager. Xdm is the default login manager for xfce and should not be affected by the above 'bug'.
I have had this happen also. It seems to occur when 45xsession script is unable to sucessfully open any window manager. Possibly it is using up all available memory trying to start kde which then shows as a low memory situation, it doesn't actually mean you need more memory but instead something is wrong with your start kde setup. The memory check is at the very end of the 45xsession script.Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemontel
I was not successful trying to get x to start in chrooted environment, I've given up & am having more success remastering starting from a Knoppix-style HD install.
I have just had this error occur again, the cause was that /home/knoppix got deleted, then when KDE tried to start it couldn't find the settings to start dcopserver. It thrashed around for a bit & eventually ended up giving the 'not enough memory' error & dumping me into TWM. So, another thing to check is the .hidden files in your /home/user directory.Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
thank arkaine23....
yup after I mount the proc under chroot env using
#mount -t proc /proc proc
my problem solved.
will update soon...
I tried to restore skel.bak but sill only KDE worked. I am going to start all over again. I'll let you know how it works out. This thread has a great deal of useful information. thanks and respect to all!
I followed the steps but in my remaster all of the .files are in /mnt/hda3/knx/source/KNOPPIX/home/root. I do not recall creating the /root subdirectory. Was this created when I Chown root? Is this correct? I have not tried to burn the iso yet.
/home/root always exists. I wouldn't mess with it.
If you "startx" before doing "su knoppix" you will be adjusting the files in /home/root instead of the ones in /home/knoppix.
Its all a matter of preference really. I leave the root configs as they are, and create my own knoppix user configs to adjust (and use those to replace the skeleton configs- /etc/skel). I'm also cautious about adjusting anything for fear of having to start completely over and always make a backup copy of the original files.
It's a lot of stuff to keep track of and easy to make small mistakes. But eventaully you come to understand what each config is for and how it all inter-relates.