Well, I'd say it's a bit strange it didn't ask for a password. You could start with connecting as user at the server to the server via ssh just to check that it works. Then try the same from the client. To find out if you're connected you can just do a ll to list files, I suppose you know what files you have on which computer. Or do uname -a or whatever. Did you manage pinging as Baldyeti suggested?Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58
If you get connected I suggest you try with fish next.
Let me just run a sample to show how ssh works.
I'll start it with:
root@fujibox:~# /etc/init.d/ssh start
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Then check that it's waiting for a connection:
root@fujibox:~# nmap localhost
Starting nmap 3.55 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-08-21 19:47 EEST
Interesting ports on mrk-fujibox (127.0.0.1):
(The 1659 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.260 seconds
Or with:
root@fujibox:~# netstat -tap|grep LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 5047/sshd
Then connect as user:
markus@fujibox:~$ ssh -l jarkko fujibox
Password:
Linux fujibox 2.6.6-16.06.04 #1 Wed Jun 16 22:14:41 EEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
No mail.
jarkko@fujibox:~$ logout
Connection to mrk-fujibox closed.
markus@fujibox:~$
I stop it with:
root@fujibox:~# /etc/init.d/ssh stop
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
And it's stopped:
root@fujibox:~# nmap localhost
Starting nmap 3.55 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-08-21 19:53 EEST
All 1660 scanned ports on fujibox (127.0.0.1) are: closed
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.211 seconds
