Re: changing kernel nightmares
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
--Since installing the latest KPX 2003-0503 to my HD, I haven't gotten LILO to work at *all*. I'm still booting with a floppy, and planning on switching to GRUB. Had to redo the entire hdinstall due to a bad floppy disk, and the system would NOT boot. :(
--Anyway, access my linuxtips site and read the instructions on how to compile a kernel there. Make sure you changed the "preferred" link in /lib/modules, and try using a non-lilo method of booting the system. (man grub) or (man rdev)+ DD the bzImage directly to a floppy and boot from there. Only drawback to that is you can't specify kernel parms, but perhaps the system will boot.
--I'll be working on getting my sys to boot w/ a recompiled kernel myself, so best of luck and keep us informed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davros4269
Hi all,
Like the original poster, all I want to do is to compile something which needs the kernel source.
I've tried every method described above, with limited success...
I used both the "Debian" method and the "long" method. Both produced the kernel, neither would load. I compiled without XFS support. Booting fails citing modules compiled against the old kernel *2.4.20-xfs". I seem to have modules (.o files) under both xfs and plain 2.4.20...
Rather, what seems to be happening, is that modules aren't being loaded, and therefore, the booting process stops, because needed parts of the system are missing...the reason given for failure to load is the version conflict.
I then tried to apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-1-686 (or something quite similar). It seemed to install, yet lilo won't boot it, citing "crampfs wrong magic" or something similar. I tried using the initrd image file that I had, and one that came with it, each yielding slightly different error messages...I tried both having the post-install script rewrite lilo completly and adding it into the current lilo by hand...
I've also tried to cheat, by renaming the xfs source and linking the 2.4.20 source to try and fool the compile process; it allowed it to begin, but then aborted out realizing that version conflict.
All I want is a running kernel matching a kernel source, so that I can compile this damn thing! I don't care about xfs support...
I'm trying to compile the Zoran video decoder card drivers for an Iomega Buz, btw...
Any help would be appreciated!
It does seem to be module related. It will start to boot my custom kernel - I don't think my problem is lilo - but it complains about the modules being compiled for 2.4.20-xfs and refuses to load them - the boot process then stops because, I assume, it needs them to complete the loading of the system correctly.
I can find no one link to "modules". in /lib/modules there are various folders representing various modules for various kernels that I've compiled - each contain modules! i cannot seem to get the system to recognize the modules that go with any other kernel besides 2.4.20-xfs!! I thought there must be a link someplace pointing to THEE modules, the ones meant to be used...perhaps the initrd image hard codes the path to the -xfs modules...don't know enough about the process...
I'm working with a hard dive install of course - not sure how moduels relate to dlls - i thought that libraries were similar to dlls, while modules were basicaly drivers of one sort or another...
I've never used grub, never had a reason to. Once, during my many attempts, I did it the debian way, asking it to install 2.4.20-1-686 using apt and allowed the post install script to rewrite lilo. This rendered the system unbootable, but I then simply used the knoppix cd as a rescue disk, chrooted in and reconstructed a working lilo with the old kernel in no time...
I've been using linux for a few years now and have never needed to compile a kernel - I guess my lazyness has caught up with me ;)