Thanx for all your generous help so far markus!
OK, here's the current state of affairs:
I checked netstat in a root shell and its OK.
I did all that iptable stuff you said in a root shell.
Here's my whole /etc/hosts.deny file (except for commented lines):
ALL:ALL
Here's my whole /etc/hosts.allow file (except for commented lines):
ssh sshd : 127.0.0.1 LOCAL : ALLOW
ssh sshd : XX.XX.XX.XX : ALLOW
ALL:ALL:deny
Here's my whole /etc/ssh/ssh_config file (except for commented lines):
Host localhost
ForwardAgent yes
ForwardX11 yes
Host *
ForwardX11 yes
RhostsAuthentication no
RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
FallBackToRsh no
UseRsh no
CheckHostIP yes
Port 22
Protocol 2,1
Cipher blowfish
Here's my whole /etc/ssh/sshd_config file (except for commented lines):
Port 80
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin yes
IgnoreRhosts yes
StrictModes yes
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog no
KeepAlive yes
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
HostbasedAuthentication no
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no
Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/sftp-server
UsePAM yes
I issued the following command in a root shell:
/etc/init.d/ssh restart
I logged-in to my workpc from home (using port 22)
ssh [email protected]
Then I logged-in from there to my homepc (using port 80)
ssh [email protected] -p80
and the best I get is:
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
ARRGGGHHHHH!
Frustrated,
AJG
