The file system is created (ext2) so if you want to you could move the /home now and do the tunefs after you re-boot.Quote:
Originally Posted by chada
Printable View
The file system is created (ext2) so if you want to you could move the /home now and do the tunefs after you re-boot.Quote:
Originally Posted by chada
Thanks, Rock, for your advice (April 11, 5.47PM)
Booted Knx. CD; in console typed:
"sudo tune2fs -j /dev/hda7". Reply was about 4 lines which said nothing about ext3, so I swore for a while.
I then exited the CD, then booted the HDrive, opened cfdisk, and the filetype showing for hda7 was ext3 !
Jubilation ! That's for sure, right ?
-----------------------------------------
Think tomorrow, following Stephen's advice already given, I can get /home to move to hda7.
Thanks again,
Chada
The four lines were telling you that it was creating the journal for the ext3 filesystem. You should have it beat now. Good luck.
Thought we were in the home stretch, but.....
From what I can see, hda7 is in order: created and mounted.
If cfdisk shows ext3 against hda7, can I take that as proven? Is there another way to check?
Following Stephen's answer to my question #4, to move /home to hda7, assuming that hda7 is all in order, I booted the CD and in console,
typed: "sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7". Reply:
there was no comment; a new prompt came up; took that to mean "hda7 is mounted arready!"
Then typed:"cd /mnt/hda7/home". Reply: "No such file or directory"
Stuck again....suggestion please ?
Chada
Now you have to move the old home directory to the /mnt/hda7 and change the /etc/fstab.
sudo mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 - orginal home partition
sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 - new home partition
cd /mnt/hda6/home - change to original home
sudo cp -Rp * /mnt/hda7/ - copy original home to new
then add the line to /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 rw,auto,user,exec 0 0
save the file and re-boot and you have now copied the /home to hda7 and it will be used on boot as /home.
The hda7 was mounted and you had the error because you have not moved the /home yet.
To add the line to /etc/fstab:
sudo vi /mnt/hda6/etc/fstab - open the fstab for editing.
insert - hit insert key to put vi in insert mode.
arrow down - use arrow down key to move down the file.
enter - hit enter key to create new open line.
type in the fstab line above.
esc - hit esc key to take vi back to command mode.
shift : - use the shift colon key to execute command you will see a : at bottom of screen.
x! - type x the shift + 1 to for !. The command will look like : x! at bottom of screen
enter - hit the enter key which will save the file without asking for conformation.
re-boot.
Further to Stephen's of April 12th, 6:45 pm
---------------------------------------------------
I am pleased, really PLEASED (!) to report that I followed this perfect little guide with full success.
Only one small glitch now remains. During Knx. original install, I set up swap in hda11. And it still appears so in fstab, even though I have now rewritten my partition schedule in cfdisk: Win2k, boot, root, home & swap (hda1,5,6,7 &8).
How do I correct this, please ?
Chada
In my last, please re3ad the number 8 in place of the smiley.
chada
Edit the fstab again and change the 11 to 8 and re-boot and the swap will be used as long as you made hda8 as type swap when you used cfdisk.
Stephen's last advice (16 Apr. 4:10 AM) worked 4 me.
So ! Now everything (partitions, directory locations, & fstab) is in order.
I have many setup chores yet to do, but this process has given me a lot of confidence that I may actually make it to the finish line
For a lot of patience and careful, clear advice, to Stephen, the Rickenbacherus, & RockMumbles: thanks a lot !
Heil Knopper !
Chada
Good to hear you got it done.