Thanks! I was wondering if I had somehow unintentionally offended you.Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
Note to others: if I have intentionally offended you, you don't really need to tell me about it. :wink:
Printable View
Thanks! I was wondering if I had somehow unintentionally offended you.Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
Note to others: if I have intentionally offended you, you don't really need to tell me about it. :wink:
This step is in substition of the modprobe step. If you complete this one then there is no need to do any modprobe.
As root user, edit the /etc/modules-2.6.11 file
Add '8139too' anywhere in that file. Then save it & exit it.
Top of /etc/modules-2.6.11:Modified /etc/modules-2.6.11:Quote:
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
ohci_hcd
usb_storage
ieee1394
ohci1394
sbp2 serialize_io=1
Quote:
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
ohci_hcd
8139too
usb_storage
ieee1394
ohci1394
sbp2 serialize_io=1
This next step is in substition of the netcardconfig. If you complete this one then there is no need to do any netcardconfig.
As root user, edit the /etc/network/interfaces file
Addto the end of that file. Then save & exit it.Code:auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Contents of /etc/network/interfaces:Modified Contents of /etc/network/interfaces:Quote:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Then issue the commands:Quote:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Once the changes are made, then reboot & see if the network now comes up automatically.Code:cd /etc/rcS.d
ln -s ../init.d/ifupdown-clean S18ifupdown-clean
James, I looked in every "etc" folder I could find and couldn't find a file called modules-2.6.11.
I even tried using the 'find file' utility to first search for that file by name and then to find any file with the words "kernel modules" inside. I searched from the / root folder and didn't find it.
FYI the version of Knoppix I'm using is 2.78 kernel 2.4.27
I did find a file named "modules.conf" under /initrd/etc but the contents look very different.
Maybe we're using different versions with different file names?
OK. I've been testing all of this on a HD install of Knoppix 3.9.
I will do a HD install of Knoppix 3.7 & try it out.
A quick note:
There is a #knoppix channel on freenode, so if you want to go about things in real-er time you could use gaim to get things going, although I'm not sure gaim came with her knoppix.
k->internet->gaim (an instant message client)
add accounts, choose protocol irc and enter a screen name
signon , click on join and enter #knoppix for the channel (no password)
it is very useful when troubleshooting back and forth.
HTH
Skip the my other big post as it is related to Knoppix 3.9. I did a HD install of Knoppix 3.7.
This step is in substition of the modprobe step. If you complete this one then there is no need to do any modprobe.
As root user, edit the /etc/modules-2.4.27 file
Add '8139too' anywhere in that file. Then save it & exit it.
Top of /etc/modules-2.4.27:Modified /etc/modules-2.4.27:Quote:
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
ohci_hcd
usb_storage
ieee1394
ohci1394
sbp2 serialize_io=1
Then reboot. The system should pickup the eth0 device & DHCP should automaticaly assign it an address. Do a ifconfig -a to make sure the eth0 device is present & it now has an addressQuote:
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd
ohci_hcd
8139too
usb_storage
ieee1394
ohci1394
sbp2 serialize_io=1
James - it worked!Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
Thank you sooo much!