-
No no no! I got "not a valid entry" when I typed "testcd" alone, not when I typed "knoppix testcd". The first time I just didn't understand I had to put "knoppix" before "testcd". THEN I got the "kernel panic" message again. Thanks anyway for your concern ;)
Well, I do think it's a bad DVD. I'll try to get a new copy.
-
The first thing on the line has to be a program to be loaded. The rest of the line is parameters to pass to whatever was first on the line. To run testcd you need to say knoppix testcd because you load the Knoppix kernel and then you instruct it to run testcd. memtest does not need (or use) anything before it because memtest loads the memtest86 code and runs it independently of Linux. Some versions of Knoppix included both the Linux 2.4 kernel and the 2.6 kernel. To run the 2.4 kernel you would type knoppix or just hit return and take the default, to run the 2.6 kernel you would type knoppix26, which loaded the 2.6 Linux kernel instead of the 2.4 Linux kernel.
Why you are getting a kernel panic when loading knoppix I do not know, but that makes more sense than getting "not a valid entry", which should only happen if you try to load something that isn't on the disc.