Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 is out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
will your minirt_51 work with this release or will it need to be updated?
Thanks,
Johan
Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 is out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
will your minirt_51 work with this release or will it need to be updated?
Thanks,
Johan
Hi,
To be honest, I did not try tu use the minirt_51 (Knoppix 5.1.0) with the Knoppix 5.1.1 iso file.
It may work (same kernel) but I wouldn't recommend it (different ntfs-3g)
and I already have posted the new minirt_ 511 version cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=110240#110240
Cheers,
Gilles
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?
I grabbed KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso from kernel.org, but my download appeared corrupt (MD5 hash mismatch). At first I thought the problem was in my end, so I re-downloaded it, this time from a different mirror. However, my new download also don't have a matching MD5 hash. It could just be confirmation bias, but my memory's telling me that the two incorrect hashes are the same, which implies that the file hosted on kernel.org is corrupt. As it is one of the master sites, it would explain why the mirror's also hosting the same file.
Could someone humor me and double check if they get the same results I did?
3735df5c816890d4637196493b1ded76 (INCORRECT)
e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 (CORRECT)
Re: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka
I grabbed KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso from kernel.org, but my download appeared corrupt (MD5 hash mismatch). At first I thought the problem was in my end, so I re-downloaded it, this time from a different mirror. However, my new download also don't have a matching MD5 hash. It could just be confirmation bias, but my memory's telling me that the two incorrect hashes are the same, which implies that the file hosted on kernel.org is corrupt. As it is one of the master sites, it would explain why the mirror's also hosting the same file.
Could someone humor me and double check if they get the same results I did?
3735df5c816890d4637196493b1ded76 (INCORRECT)
e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 (CORRECT)
I got exactly the same results as you.
I downloaded from:
ftp://knoppix.cs.wisc.edu
and the filesize was 4,324,202,496 bytes.
Since it would take a long time to re-download, I suppose it might be a good idea to burn the DVD and then boot it with the option for checking the integrity of the files. Have you (or anyone else) tried that yet?
Re: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?
[quote="Jaromba"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka
I got exactly the same results as you.
.......
Since it would take a long time to re-download, I suppose it might be a good idea to burn the DVD.....
No, it would not be a good idea (I'll restrain myself from saying what kind of idea it would be). Two people, ckamin and kej, already confirmed the md5 checksum was correct. kej even used a mirror. If you go back and look at my post you'll see that I stated mirrors do indeed sometimes work, but I've seem a repeatable corruption issue with them, which completely explains matching bad md5 checksums. If you want to waste a DVD that's OK with me but advising others to do so when the md5 check fails is wrong.
If you want to avoid this problem in the future and don't mind the side effect of faster downloads, open your mind to the idea of trying something new to you and learn how to set up and run BitTorrent properly.
Re: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
No, it would not be a good idea (I'll restrain myself from saying what kind of idea it would be). Two people, ckamin and kej, already confirmed the md5 checksum was correct. kej even used a mirror. If you go back and look at my post you'll see that I stated mirrors do indeed sometimes work, but I've seem a repeatable corruption issue with them, which completely explains matching bad md5 checksums. If you want to waste a DVD that's OK with me but advising others to do so when the md5 check fails is wrong.
If you want to avoid this problem in the future and don't mind the side effect of faster downloads, open your mind to the idea of trying something new to you and learn how to set up and run BitTorrent properly.
Thanks for your reply, Harry.
I certainly wouldn't dream of advising anyone to do anything!
I tried burning the iso and booted knoppix from it, using the boot code "knoppix testdvd".
This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
The file was KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ... or is that a directory?
There was then another message saying, "Everything seems to be OK"
and Knoppix booted.
(The two messages seem to be somewhat inconsistent!)
I have used BitTorrent a lot, with excellent results - but when I tried using it to get Knoppix the speed was amazingly low.
Less than 1 KB/s. Wonder why? Normally I can get a hundred times that.
There were plenty of seeds, too.
Any ideas or advice?