Originally Posted by
Jeffery Mewtamer
Sounds like I might be immune(or at least, less exposed) to the problems uefi causes on account of the fact that I haven't had reason to dual boot in nearly a decade, but it does sound like a issue that transcends distro and is hopefully one that gets ironed out before I am forced to upgrade to a machine that comes with uefi. Can't say I'm surprised the retailer and manufacturer are completely useless for any use case beyond the pre-loaded copy of Windows(personally, when I have problems I can resolve myself or via the internet, I do to my college's resident Linux enthusiast). Still, with the way Microsoft seems hell bent on preventing people from booting other OSes, I'm glad I was able to kick them to the curve a long time ago. As for splitting the thread, I would say discussion of the uefi problem was getting to in-depth to be appropriate in its original position. Do think the forum could do with some re-organization into fewer sections no more activity than we have though. Edit: If checking what kind of BIOS I had was as simple as entering my Bios, I wouldn't have bothered asking. I can get into my BIOS(or at least what I assume it to be the BIOS), but visual impairment prevents me from doing anything once I get in or reading any of he information displayed there, and no one in my household knows computers well enough to assist me. Oh well, I'm not having any issues related to booting, and since it will likely be several years before I need to buy another machine(barring unforseen hardware failure), hopefully the problems will be resolved by the time I come into possession of affected hardware. .