http://kano.mipooh.net
Ciao Martin
Printable View
http://kano.mipooh.net
Ciao Martin
You know, I just had to reinstall my Dell at home. Now, the last time I did this I used fabianx' nvidia scripts to accelerate my Vanta card and got over 600 fps in glxgears.
It seems that his script doesn't work anymore, so I tried http://kano.mipooh.net OK, I went from 150 to 300 fps but not 600. This is all the same hardware, mind you. I tried posting to http://kanotix.mipooh.net but my registration hasn't gone thru.
How do I get the right drivers? I think fabianx' used the one I needed (4192), but kano doesn't have that one....
Upset,
AJG
Hi Jorge,
a new star is born: Kanotix, Kano (_the_ german Knoppix guru) will release his new (bugfixed) version in about one week. Maybe it's worth to wait...
Ciao Martin
I do not think you can get dri on that card but you can try a different driver from Gatos that you can get here you want the ati2 experimental14 then it is just a matter of extracting the archive and coping a couple of files to the proper directory and restarting the X server. From the directory you downloaded too:Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
For the nvidia driver you mention in the second post if you are using the 5328 one don't use either the 4496 or 4620 I've had good luck with both of them then new one is IMHO useless. To try and get the 4192 I would try a google search if you are thinking the 4590 then you can get it here.Code:tar -xzvf ATI-4.3.0-14.i386.tar.gz
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o.original
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o.original
cp X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
cp X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o
rm -rf X11R6/
/etc/init.d/kdm restart
OOPS, sorry for the confusion! I am talking about 2 different home office PCs:
(1) Gateway 2000 G6: PII/400 Mach64 + ATI Rage II
and
(2) Dell Dimension 4100: PIII/866 + nv Vanta TNT
On the G6, forget DRI. I can only get 100fps on that PC. The Mach64 is agp, maybe I should try kano's agpart script?
On the Dimension, I did get an nvidia accelerator script (fabianx') to work before. However, it downloads drivers that are not there anymore. I tried all three of kano's nvidia scripts and they all result in 300 fps.
BTW, my lab at school constists of 25
(3) Dell Optiplex GX270s: PIV/2400 + i810, on these DRI worked fine right after apt-get update and I'm getting nearly 1800 fps in glxgears!
What do ya think?
TIA, AJG
No I was not confused I understoood you have the two machines the Gatos mentioned above are drivers for the ATI cards I use them in my Celeron 450 with a 3D Rage something I get about 150 you should be able to do better with a real PII although I have ~400mb of ram in it so that may be helping it out.Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
If you mean the 4363 drivers that Fabian has here for the live install then the driver is still available at Nvidia all you have to do is take one of Kano's scripts and change the line that says for instance VER=1.0-4496 in the 4496 script and change it to VER=1.0-4363 and save the script then run it and it should work.Quote:
and
(2) Dell Dimension 4100: PIII/866 + nv Vanta TNT
On the G6, forget DRI. I can only get 100fps on that PC. The Mach64 is agp, maybe I should try kano's agpart script?
On the Dimension, I did get an nvidia accelerator script (fabianx') to work before. However, it downloads drivers that are not there anymore. I tried all three of kano's nvidia scripts and they all result in 300 fps.
BTW, my lab at school constists of 25
(3) Dell Optiplex GX270s: PIV/2400 + i810, on these DRI worked fine right after apt-get update and I'm getting nearly 1800 fps in glxgears!
What do ya think?
TIA, AJG
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Stephen! That's all I needed to hear: a simple fix to kano's or fabianx' script. I'm not up on bash programming, so I was having some trouble deciphering these scripts. Now, this will go a long way to helping me with my driver problem and learning shell programming - cool!
Again, thanx,
AJG
OK, Stephen, I modified one of kano's scripts to use the src files (4363) and url (download.nvidia.com/...) you gave me and still get the same glxgears result.
Could it be that the knoppix install is more efficient than the debian install? No matter which nvidia driver I use, I only get 300 fps now. How is it that I had gotten 600 fps before? How accurate is glxgears?
Is it good enough to have glxinfo read true for DRI and that glxgears returns a higher fps with the drivers than without?
Thanx,