I notice this release has "purged the apt cache".
What does this mean in practice? Can I update/customise this 50MB version of Knoppix in the usual manner using apt-get? Do I need to rebuild the apt cache before I do this?
Any info appreciated.
Printable View
I notice this release has "purged the apt cache".
What does this mean in practice? Can I update/customise this 50MB version of Knoppix in the usual manner using apt-get? Do I need to rebuild the apt cache before I do this?
Any info appreciated.
Purging all that apt-cruft is a good way to squeeze out some extra mb's, to rebuild you just need to apt-get update. Most (if not, all) remastered versions use it, and knoppix prob too.
I wen't one step past that and also removed the dpkg folder.
There will be a gzipped dpkg/ folder available on the website. You should be able to drop it into /var/lib/ and gunzip it, then just 'apt-get update' to restore apt-get.
hmm, that seems reasonable for a 50mb iso :D
interested in how it works, downloading it now, hope to be able to provide some useful feedback :)
Thanks for the info.
I can't seem to access your damnsmalllinux.org site as yet (I guess your in the process of moving it).
I just gave your 50MB version of Knoppix a go.
I can give boot options to it with my keyboard. e.g. lang=uk
However, once it has booted, it doesn't recognise my keyboard, so I can't use it further,
The regular Knoppix works fine with my keyboard (my keyboard is USB).
Just passing on the info, hoping there is a easy fix for it as your distro sounds great.
:) I guess that is a problem. Right now it just does US keyboards. I'll work on that.
To make room, I had to remove many of the locals. I guess the simple solution would be to make a UK, DE etc. version.
Alex, I missed your post earlier -- thanks.
kbreen. does the keyboard respond if you do not enter your language preference?
I was presuming it was more of a USB issue so I didn't try that.Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I will try it later tonight though and get back to you.
No, it doesn't.Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I did notice when I tried again that I was getting an error message during boot though.
When I did specify lang=uk I get:
findkeymap: no such file or directory
cannot open file uk
When I dont specify a lang I get the same, but with:
cannot open file us
Strange...