Originally Posted by j.drake
Almost any Windows user these days is going to have a DVD drive - Linux may be tolerant of outdated and obsolete computers, but Windows isn't. Now, that having been said, the best anti-DVD argument I've seen is for laptops, which cannot be upgraded with cheap DVD or DVD +/-R/RW drives. I hadn't anticipated this point, and it is a very good one. But, I never suggested that anyone should stop making the CD available. As a user, the best thing for me would be to have both CDs and DVDs at my disposal. But I don't think it's fair to insist upon that, since I'm not the one doing the work to make the disks or pay for them. All I suggested was that the newer technology and larger programs should switch to DVD. Knoppix 3.3 on CD is very capable and stable, and has KOffice and the older apps, and will run on older and more obsolete machines. It's a great solution for people who are worried about bloat. Just leave it up on the mirrors, and put subsequent versions on DVD. That way, leading edge folks who can benefit from the new stuff and Windows newbies will have what they want, and the minimalists can have what they want too. And if they're really into Linux, they know what to do to update or remaster. It's the folks who don't know how to do that who need it done for them.