When newer version > 6.0 release
It has been so long that newer version of knoppix not arrived.
Hope for built-in support for wine and all webcam drivers.
When will newer version of knoppix release?
Re: The future of Knoppix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machstem
:? Ubuntu is not an option. Klaus is too busy with work and family to devote all his time to Knoppix. Perhaps now is the time to loosen the reighns on Knoppix and allow others to take on some of the work. Knoppix is just too darned good to let it wither on the vine.
I soooo agree with you on that! I'm writing this on a Kubuntu Live CD - it's better than Ubuntu, but not as good as Mint-ubuntu, and for some reason, I like Knoppix even better than Mint. As a beginner in Linux, I'm forced to boot into windows much more often than I want to, because webcam support seems to have been pushed aside. Yet, just as the telephone replaced the messenger (the one on foot I mean, not on your screen), there are more and more of us using webcams in our daily conversations... it's no longer for the few, but now used in many homes for keeping in touch with family, friends, and for telecommuting/teleconferencing.
Collaborative work may definitely be the solution to some components important to others. (unless Klaus plans to concentrate on a distribution for the vision impaired only, down the road - if it is the case, we should be told of that, as a distro's future roadmap is part of the decision as to whether we adopt a certain distro)
knoppix 6.2 - black screen 6.2.1 is out
I tried 6.2
knoppix lang=us and then it just went to a black screen on my old toshiba portege laptop. I only waited about a minute but I felt that was too long for anything to come up so I thought it didn't work.
How long do I need to wait before I get a menu screen to pop up?
in the meantime i see knoppix 6.2.1 is out so i'll be trying that out soon.