Obviously you can't. People keep misunderstanding me. Here's what I said:Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wflake
1. Most Windows folks probably have a DVD drive. This is because the MS environment expects people to constantly upgrade. I'm not here to debate whether that's good, bad, fair, unfair, sensitive or smart - I just state it for what it is. I didn't say burner - I said drive. If you run linux on a 10-year old computer, I respect that, but the statement is not aimed at you, I'm talking about people who currently run MS exclusively and who may be curious about switching.
2. DVD drives are cheap. They are. Trust me. You'd be hard pressed to find more than $10 USD difference in cost between a DVD reader and a CD reader ( a year ago, a DVD reader cost me $30 USD at a retail store). Plus, I'll bet most linux tinkerers are resourceful enough to score a used one for less than $5.
3. Burned linux disks are cheap. Approx $6 USD with shipping. OK, blank DVDs cost more, so add maybe $3-5 USD at most - call it $10 USD total. So you want to burn your own -- OK, well when I first got into this I didn't have broadband, and I couldn't download CD ISO files -- did that make everyone else insensitive? No, I bought a previously burned disk and had it mailed to me. No big deal.
4. DVD burners now are as cheap as CD burners were when Knoppix first came out. I've seen them in dual formats for $80 USD at Best Buy. I still remember CD readers at $300 USD when they first came out. If it wasn't "unreasonable" or "insensitive" to give people the option of burning their own Knoppix CDs when Knoppix first came out and CD burners were more expensive, then why is it so controversial and "insensitive" now?? It's an option - not a requirement - buy a burner if you want - buy a disk if you don't.
5. Keep v.3.3 ISOs on the mirrors. Look, I'm not the one who made Knoppix 3.4 too big for a CD - that's not my fault - it is what it is. If you don't want to buy a DVD player or burner, but want to run Knoppix, fine. I don't care if you do. But if 3.4 won't fit on a CD, and if no one wants to sacrifice their favorite apps, then what do you want me to do about it? You're wanting to kill off apps that other people need or want because you personally don't favor them, all so you won't have to be inconvenienced by a switch in format (an inevitable one, BTW), yet you call ME insensitive??? Give me a break!
6. Many hardcore linux folks are doing HD installs, and know how to get upgrades easily. If you need Knoppix as a rescue disk, the rescued computer probably won't be offended if you use v. 3.3. Plus, I did point out the possibility of less frequent upgrades to the CDs.
Call me insensitive if you want, but I proposed a solution that doesn't sacrifice anybody's favorite or most needed applications, that gets leading edge users the power and versatility that they want, that provides existing users the ability to have everything they currently have, that maximizes appeal to new Windows users, and really doesn't cost all that much in the grand scheme of things. Even if you go with the most expensive approach and buy a brand new DVD burner, it's still cheaper than a WinXP upgrade disk or a full retail license of RedHat or SuSE, plus you get a burner that you can use for backups, making DVDs, or whatever else. you choose. And, if that poses a problem, you can still burn a CD if you want or order a DVD by mail.
