EDITED DUE TO NEWER POST BELOW! (DELETE IF NECCESSARY)
Printable View
EDITED DUE TO NEWER POST BELOW! (DELETE IF NECCESSARY)
I have a Dell Inspiron 510m. Let me know if you want the full spec.Quote:
Originally Posted by WoofDeF
Under Knoppix 3.3 nearly everything worked straight off. Only cheat code needed was screen=1280x1024 to get higher res. (I have the SVGA+ 1400x1050 LCD). Don't think the 1400x1050 works. One thing that does not seem to be in 3.3 is Wifi. Also having trouble getting a home on my USB hard drive to get recognised.
To try to advance I got the DVD version of Knoppix 4.02. This has been something of a disaster. To such an extent that I wonder if it is really Knoppix 0.402! It took me a whole weekend to get the display working. It was split in half and at 640x480. I had to move the mouse 'round the back' to get anything done. Finally I found that xmodule=i810 got things working. Once I got there I added screen=1280x1024 and that was the display OK. All efforts to use vsync and hsync seem to get ignored.
Next problem with 4.02 is that, while I get nice eye-candy icons for my USB partitions, none of them are mountable! I get a message like 'not a block device'. Now how can Knoppix get itself into this state? 3.3 has worked fine on at least three laptops so what has happened with 4? This USB problem is all the more exasperating as my main hard drive has died.
Next problem is that the Wifi card - Truemobile 1300 is not recognised. A pain.
So, in conlusion, anyone running 4.02 on an Inspiron 510m needs the cheat code xmodule=i810. I emphasise this as part of the problem was that I found many bits of advice amongst which was the right one. There seem to be a lot of people posting answers to stuff who are not actually speaking from experience. They are a danger.
Thanks for Knoppix,
Norman
HERES A SHORTENED VERSION OF MY EXPERIENCE:
Compaq Presario R3200 Notebook ( I think this is the UK retail Model )..
SPECS:
AMD 64 Processor (1800Mhz)
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA Onboard AGP
WORKS WITH: KNOPPIX 4.0 (EN LANGUAGE VERSION) booting from cdrom (downloaded via http://www.torrentsearch.com/ )
CHEATCODES REQUIRED: On first boot the notebooks touchpad was not responding at all, this was corrected on the second boot. N0 CHEATCODES REQUIRED.
APPLICATIONS TESTED: SAMBA NETWORK APPLICATION - IMMEDIATE CONNECTION TO MY EXISTING HOME NETWORK.
CAFFEINE - IMMEDIATE PLAYBACK OF AVI'S, BUT NO AUDIO ON MPG4 FILES (LACK OF CODEC).
X PLAYER - PLAYS MP3 AUDIO FILES.
3K (CD/DVD BURNING APP) - NOT POSSIBLE TO USE WHEN BOOTING FROM CD UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER CD BURNER.
I hope this helps someone.Thanks to all. :D
Just installed Knoppix 4.0.2 on a Sony Vaio laptop (1.6 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, dvd-rw...) runs much faster than M$ XP Pro.
Now all I gotta do is get Knoppix to recognize the widescreen, then we'll be running smooth as glass.
As of the time of this post, all other systems and peripherals seem to be working just fine without any manual tweaking needed.
a) knoppix 4.0.2 live cdQuote:
Originally Posted by WoofDeF
b) Sony Vaio K115Z pentium 4 (M) 3.06 ghz wireless 802.11g connected with USR9106 router/gateway ADSL
b bis) it works!
c) cheatcodes ?? :-)
but here I'm trying get info to see/mount the memory stick pro interface to save some things...
if this is quick can some help me or should i go on searching... :-)
ciao
leo
I've got a newish laptop and here are the specs:
HP Pavilion (not sure of model number)
AMD64 Turion ML-28 1.6GHz
512 MB ram
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 128 mb
The only thing I see that does not work is the wireless card (Broadcom) but that might be something in the bios i havn't tooled around with yet....but here's the interesting stuff
Knoppix runs extremely fast...not to boast, I mean, EXTREMELY fast. So fast, that the CLOCK goes about twice as fast as it should, and typing is really hard because even if my finger is on a key for a millisecond too long, it will type 16 letters that i didn't intend to type. I'm not exactly sure how operating systems work deep down, but I'm guessing that the time for calculating how much time should pass in one second is controlled by the hardware, which is why I am very perplexed as to why the entire computer and clock is running at an abnormally fast speed. I'm not really looking for a way to fix this, I'd just like to let you know cause it seems like a very interesting bug!
Health and Happiness
Rob
Hi,
Celeron mobile 1400, 512M ram.
Works out of the box. :)
Motorola wireless card works with NDISwrapper although I need to click through the Wavelan and network card configurations after a reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanicus
Thanks for the info. I'm using an Inspiron 510m myself and had trouble with the resolution. It's fixed now :-)
I didn't encounter the USB problem yet. Did it work well together with earlier Versions of knoppix ? If not you might try to use a different File System on it and check partition table.
cfdisk, qtparted, fdisk aso.
does anyone know how to make it so that you are able to put the laptop into suspend/hibernate/standby mode, becuz i dont want my laptop LCD to be running 24/7.
i try setting it in the power control section, but when i go on hibernate/suspend mode the laptop just shuts off.
i'm currently running knoppix 4.0.2, i install it off the live CD.
Knoppix 4.02 runs like a dream on this machine. My only query so far is how to increase the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x768. Am I just being greedy?