HELP!!! HELP!!! HD seems scr****ed up!
Dear people,
I've been reeding al the posts above, but I might I overlooked the solution, but anyway, maybe someone can help me:
I did an KNOPPIX HD-INSTALL on HDC1, whith HDA1 still connected and with WinXP (FAT32).
Now, Linux works fine. Really great, but Windows won't boot. Ergo: blind panic. I've tried everyting from repairing, restoring and now re-installing but NOTHING works. I even re-partioned and reformated the whole HDA-disk, but still WInXP won't install. Is it possible I scr***d my whole HD? Should I buy a new HD?
Anyone ANYWHERE PLEASE???
Blaise
--------------------------MORE TECHNICAL DETAILS BELOW------------------------------------
(PS. HDA was configured this way: 40 GIG,
HDA1: FAT32, winXP OS
HDA2: LinuxSwap
HDA5: FAT32, just ordinary dat
HDC1: Exp3 with Linux from Knoppix
HDC2: LinuxSwap
Now, HDCx is still the same, but I'm trying to re-install Windows on a freshly partioned, freshly re-formatted:
HDA1: NTFS, 10 GB
HDA2: FAT32, 30 GB
The windows SYS files just won't copy to it from CD. In fact, no attampt at all has succeeded to boot anything from it. Not even a boot-flop with XP ?!?!? )
specifying previous question: WinXP won't boot or install
Thanks for your reaction. I realise I didn't pose my question clearly enough.Hmmm,...:
After I did an knoppix harddsik install on a second (seperate) HD the following happened:
-KNOPPIX (or Debian-Linux as it has become) works GREAT!!! :D
-WinXP on first HD won't boot anymore :?
-WinXP won't install at all anymore on the first HD, either :(
LinuxSwap was made on an extra partition on BOTH drives.
I assume something messed up something realy essential on my harddisk. CHDISK, FDISK, QTPART, FORMAT or FIXMBR can't cure anything.
kind regards,
Blaise
(btw: Lilo did seem to be able to see my windows partition [i could choose it from the list] but it couldn't boot it. It wend to some kind of DOS-mode (excusez le mot) and quitted )
Re: specifying previous question: WinXP won't boot or instal
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise
Thanks for your reaction. I realise I didn't pose my question clearly enough.Hmmm,...:
After I did an knoppix harddsik install on a second (seperate) HD the following happened:
-KNOPPIX (or Debian-Linux as it has become) works GREAT!!! :D
-WinXP on first HD won't boot anymore :?
-WinXP won't install at all anymore on the first HD, either :(
LinuxSwap was made on an extra partition on BOTH drives.
I assume something messed up something realy essential on my harddisk. CHDISK, FDISK, QTPART, FORMAT or FIXMBR can't cure anything.
kind regards,
Blaise
(btw: Lilo did seem to be able to see my windows partition [i could choose it from the list] but it couldn't boot it. It wend to some kind of DOS-mode (excusez le mot) and quitted )
Hi,
Boot into hd install of KNOPPIX as "root" and give the command at the root shell "fdisk -l /dev/hda". In the list check system-id of WIN XP partition. If my experience is correct then it should be "Hidden FAT32 or Hidden vfat or something like this" (I don't remember the id). If it is so then run "fdiks /dev/hda" from the root shell, then choose the option to change the system-id of the partition, select the number of partition (in you case it is 1), then type l to get list of system-ids, type the id that corresponds to vfat or FAT32, then type "w" to write changes the reboot.
Try to boot WIN XP now or install it. It should work. If not, post the results.
Good Luck :)