At work I have run knoppix on Compaq n600c, n610c, and e500 I did not see the 600 at the above site. Also on a Toshiba satellite 1805-s154 at home.
Printable View
At work I have run knoppix on Compaq n600c, n610c, and e500 I did not see the 600 at the above site. Also on a Toshiba satellite 1805-s154 at home.
I installed knoppix on
Compaq Armada 1570, no sound but everything else is fine
Toshiba Portege 3020ct, I had to deinstall sncdconfig and install the woody version to get the sound to work, but now everything is great.
HP Pavillion Ze4500, resized NTFS using BootitNG, installed everything straight away. (note OEM XP home crashed twice in two weeks before the knoppix install, great promo for knoppix)
I am not allowed to install on
Dell Inspiron 4000, CD Knoppix works.
Compaq Armada 4000, CD Knoppix works.
I'd love an interactive tool for wireless configuration instead of the jumble of tools at this point.
thanks Klaus and everybody else involved
Running Linux on several laptops here, plus I have installed it on plenty of others.
IBM Thinkpad 600E
You need to flash the BIOS to an updated version since the original will NOT boot Linux (or even Windows 2000) because of a flaw in the original BIOS. After flashing everything went extremely well. Although it's only a 366MHz/192MB model it is fully adequate for running most stuff. I run Fluxbox because it's nice and responsive on low end systems.
Dell Inspiron 800i
No problems, I had to recompile the kernel to get support for the special features but no other issues. 1600x1200 resolution in X is awesome. :-)
Dell Latitude CPi300XT
No issues at all. This baby was born to run Linux. It's a bit dated and I had it replaced by the TP600E but it's still very usable.
Macintosh PowerBook G3 WallStreet
This baby ran just fine. Both Yellowdog and Debian-PPC installed flawlessly, but you need to specify some options for the framebuffer module in the bootloader, otherwise it won't look pretty at all. :-)
I have one problem with this computer: It's got ONLY ONE FRIGGEN MOUSE BUTTON! Arrrgh! LOL
hw
v7-26-03 on Dell Inspiron 3800, Bios A09, 700MHz, PIII M, 512MB Ram, 8MB ATI Rage Mobility, ESS Maestro 3i..........All worked great except modem. Installed Creative Lab v90 pcmcia modem and have had no problems since. I need to mention, I haven't tried the cd burning stuff.
Tom Tiger, you stated that basically everything worked for the Toshiba Satellite 5000 series. I'm curious to know how you got the sound to work, as I am currently having trouble with that. Thanks very much for your input.
If anybody gets it running on a Dell 300m let me know. I'm having problems getting it to boot. It seems like the docking station cd-rom isn't recognized and it cant find the knoppix files
Basicly nothing, I just ran the cd and it picked up the sound
card without a problem. On one of the 3.2 exp iso's I did have
to use the cheatcode ALSA, but I don't know which one that
was. 3.2 iso 06-06 doesn't have a problem with it.
Did you get a soundserver error?
L8tr... Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsai256
Tom Tiger,
Thanks for helping me out. I tried the ACPI and ALSA cheat codes, but unfortunately neither of those will get me any sound. Everytime I always get some error sayin how my IRQ is not set, or something like that.
I think it's also interesting to note that sound works with SuSE live eval 8.2.
I found a .diff patch file that might solve my problems at http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi
but I have no idea how to apply this patch. Can somebody help me? Thanks.
Hi,
Please check your bios and make sure that the 5000 is running
in boot mode and not in resume mode. Also look in the bios
if the system is set to setup by OS or not.
L8tr... Tom
Compaq EVO N620C has been fine for some time. Only a small intermittent IRQ sharing problem. :lol: