what are your specs? i tryed using knoppix qemu on a machine with 256mb and 400mhz and it was a no show. i tryed it on a machine with more then 1000mhz and a gig of ram and it worked but it was very slow for some things.
Printable View
what are your specs? i tryed using knoppix qemu on a machine with 256mb and 400mhz and it was a no show. i tryed it on a machine with more then 1000mhz and a gig of ram and it worked but it was very slow for some things.
The qemu-knoppix 3.8 has been set to use to 1GB of your Windows system's RAM + swap file.
From the qemu-0.6.1-windows-2/qemu-knoppix.bat batch file, line 20:
That argument in bold is the amount of RAM (physical RAM and if necessary swap file) that it is going to use. In my opinion, it is set WAY too high. It should be set to something realistic such as 256MB or 384MB. You can either use a ISO editor/creator program & extract the qemu-knoppix-3.8's contents, edit the batch file, and recreate the ISO file. Or you can hexedit the ISO file & change '-m 1024' to '-m 256'.Quote:
start qemu.exe -L . -m 1024 -boot d -cdrom %BOOTDRIVE%/qemu-0.6.1-windows-2/bootcd.iso -hda %BOOTDRIVE% -hdachs 14070,16,63 -user-net -enable-audio -localtime
James
The setup chris-uk provides enough RAM for video purposes. (to allow un-compressed video or large compressed files to play in ram)
Perhaps that is the reason for such a large provision.
Ahhh, I see. This is an old 700MHz laptop with 256MB ,10GB HDD. :oops:
Can I copy the contents to the hard drive and edit and run from there?
Or do I have to do it from the CD?
Or, *shudder*, do I have to reboot my main box (AMD64 3000, 1GB, etc)to Windows XP,
which hasn't happened for many many months now?
All I want to do is see it in action :-)
Thanks again,
ers
what i found intresting with the qemu knoppix is that it used the ip 10.0.2.25 but my network range is in 192.168.*.* so im curious as to why it does that and how it works.
If you are familiar with VMWare, then qemu (or something else) makes a NAT (network address translation) for the guest OS's network connection.Quote:
Originally Posted by pureone
Could you please post this qemu-knoppix.bat batch file, I would prefer not to download the whole iso file again just for that. I can probably figure it out myself, but why re-invent the wheel ... Thanks, GillesQuote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
The '1024M' was on the principle that it will be faster for Windows to write/read things from 'paging' disk, rather than re-read it from CD. You can set it as you wish.
You can just copy all the files off the CD to a directory, make your changes, and run them from disk; no problem. Or write them back to a new CD; that CD will 'autorun' but will not boot 'real'.
Information here http://www.ofset.org:8080/freeduc-doc/11 if you want to know what was done, how the script works, how to rebuild one so that it will boot 'real' as well as 'virtual', etc.
I've had success with WIndowsXP, failure with Windows95, failure with WIndowsME. I suspect it's something to do with the level of Windows that QEMU was built for; but I don't know. 'I have to upgrade to WIndowsXP so that I can run Linux' has got to be the lamest excuse ever, though :-)
This kernel was built with HZ=1000 . If someone is able to rebuild with HZ=100 (the kernel needs to go inside the 'bootcd.iso' file to be picked up by the virtual boot) it should run better; http://www.ofset.org:8080/freeduc-doc/11 tells you how to rebuild the bootcd.iso
If anyone wants the Knoppix 3.6.B DVD, also set up with QEMU so it will autorun under Windows, the torrent is being seeded at http://www.linuxtracker.org/ . It may take a while, but we'll get there :-)