-
There's one thing I'd like to see on Knoppix that has nothing to do with space constraints or applications, and that's the ability to load the configuration archive and the persistent home directory from the same volume (although that might not be technically feasible).
<edit>
Here's a radical idea -- many of you are familiar with the Captive project, which allows one to safely mount NTFS volumes read/write. How about if a "cheatcode" was offered to download and install the necessary drivers (using Captive) right after network detection? And then allowed you to restore configuration files or a home dir from the NTFS volume?
</edit>
Although it would be nice to have some applications included that are really difficult for us "perpetual newbies" to install from source on a distro like Red Hat or Mandrake -- I'm thinking the Rosegarden sequencer/score editor for one; and MPlayer, for another. (Rosegarden is on the ISO-Top remaster, even though it's not in the K menu.)
I agree with wooac that a Knoppix distro that made it extremely easy (even easier than Morphix) to remaster would be very cool, but I don't expect that Mr. Knopper will produce that one. Someone else might!
-
I don't agree to discount any of KDE apps and especially Konqi & KOffice. There are a lot of other un-necessary apps that can be removed. I am NOT against GNOME but there are quite a few GNOME apps that can be removed. Is it necessary to keep multiple un-popular WM?
-
Remove all windows managers excpets KDE, and all languages except English, and a few western european languages. If someone from another language needs knoppix in their language, they can get a remaster with their language.
-
problem
The problem with 60 mb to much is a big problem :( 60 MB to much in normal way (760mb iso) or ~ 20 MB to much??? (cloop calculated)
More and more applications leaving the big Knoppix - I know this because I created Kix but after Knoppix 3.3 remastering to such a little size without removing big things isn't possible anymore!
We see from time to time applications grow and Knoppix is getting more and more to a base for other remasters that have special targets...
-
Any chance of throwing NTPassword back in there?
Aside from that, I say it probably doesn't need both 2.4 AND 2.6... 2.6 is fine.
Like everyone else has been saying, pick one or two of each of the most popular programs (most dependable and the fastest, most streamlined) for any given app type and leave it at that.
Keep K3b, it's awesome... same with OO (that's something I hear every time someone else is trying to convert someone to Linux... "Open Office is awesome, and free..").
Also, please keep all the Linux Newbie help type stuff. God only knows how often I've used that crap.
I must say, that 'switch to DVD format' idea was horrible. That's even less appealing that having to wait 4+ hours (if you're lucky) to download your linux, like some other retarded distros. I really don't understand the mindset of people who came up with that...
"Well hey, how about we DON'T give them any kind of dependable medium? And let's just HOPE they're not the kinda person who likes to experiment with their machine... else they might end up spending something like 25 hours a week downloading our linux, ahyuck!"
-
One word processor is plenty . Mozilla offers a good replacement to IE . Multiple language support is important .. Ease of operation ! ..Only this year I have seen new systems with linux in a brick and mortar store . Computer shows, I see Knoppix on systems for the show hours .
DVD is up and coming . If Knoppix is distributed on a DVD It will simply be ahead of it’s time . there will be plenty of CD’s floating around to be copied .When all computers have DVD Knoppix will have a larger market share .
From popular parts supply site -BenQ 16X DVD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM 31.00.- DVD it’s time is here !
-
I agree completely with probono from a few posts back. Especially his point about OOo. I think it is a great app but in many cases it's much too slow to run off of a Knoppix CD. When Knoppix is running on the average low end PC with limited memory and processing power OOo tends to make Linux look bad.
In related news. We all know that Knoppix is Debian based. So maybe an idea might be to approach the maintainers of certain, shall we say, bloated applications and request that they offer a skinney version of their app for inclusion on Knoppix. I think that Knoppix has hit critical mass to the point where app maintainers do condider it an honnor to be included in a Knoppix release and thus would be willing to create a space saving Knoppix specific version of their app.
Just my 2 centavos :)
-
Perhaps for a few core things you could build the Debian package with --disable-nls: for instance, Perl probably doesn't need that much NLS support (it has Unicode stuff built in), so why have it?
-
goin' to be a difficult choice ;-)
when reading the comments, alot ppl favor removing Koffice and Mozilla, and only having the 2.6.x kernel. guess thats ok, although I prefer Koffice for its speed - but you can always install it after the hdinstall.
and about the games - DONT remove frozen-bubble, its awesome! the others might be removed, I guess...
-
Yes, it has disturbed me about the number of people keen to remove Koffice in favour of OO.
I find the Koffice modules faster and more versatile than their OO equivelants.
Not sure where anyone else stands on this