i, for one, use fluxbox.Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_C
Why? becouse it is great for my underpumped laptop(pI/166mmx, 64 ram) and it works pretty good, if i use kde, my laptop will go crazy.
Printable View
i, for one, use fluxbox.Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_C
Why? becouse it is great for my underpumped laptop(pI/166mmx, 64 ram) and it works pretty good, if i use kde, my laptop will go crazy.
fluxbox and icewm are smaller and faster.
koffice, games, and tetex can clear a lot of space. Some others I've removed at times are seldom-used kde components, wmaker, xfce, extra text editors (I usually keep kde editors, vim, and add nano), dillo and other light web-browsers.
The brazillian guys who work on prometeus and kurumin could tell us a lot about minimal KDE remasters of knoppix.. They keep their iso's down at 210mb or so which would be a good starting place.
I also use fluxbox and icewm. It's good to have a full-featured DE like KDE, but also have smaller WM's. A lot of standard distros don't give you those small WM's by default, and for knoppix to have them makes it a better demo to linux as well as more compatible/faster with older systems.
do they use any symlink optimising, so duplicate files don't take up more than one files space?
you can't honestly tell me that you believe the developers are still checking this thread.
i mean, klaus has been called a liar, posts are wasted on creating 'pay pal' accounts, the majority of these posts are drivel of idiots.
you just don't realize how great an opportunity we are granted by a forum like this, being able to put our input into a project like this.
and it's an insult to the developers as well as sensible 'fans', 'users', whatever, to be lumped into a group with such inane banter.
i would absolutely love to see these two topics (mods know which two i mean) archived or stricken from this forum.
it's an absolute embarrassment, and i am ashamed to think that klaus or the other developers need to be subjected to this.
we should be a very, very appreciative community, and we should not allow ourselves to be portrayed as eager gimme gimmes.
let's clean this forum up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore
Drivel of idiots eh? Your post defines the term pretty well.
As far as 'paypal' posts, the process of contributing takes a lot of forms ...... and yes, contributing to the financial well being of Linux "movers and shakers" is a time honored process in the Linux world. You think Linus is independently wealthy? You think that people didn't que up and make contributions of one type or another?
Time to open your eyes and grow up.
rw
I agree. If Klaus wants to rest and tweak Knoppix before making it available on the internet then that is entirely his preogative. Rest assured that he will get it released, but on his, not our, time table.Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore
BTW, I don't think Klaus has ever looked at this thread (I hope not anyway). The guy is just too busy to deal with the multitude of posts that are in this thread and in knoppix.net in general. I have said before that if people really want to get messages to Klaus then they need to sign up for the devlopers mailing list. Having said that DON'T ALL OF YOU NOW SIGN UP ON THE LIST AND TELL KLAUS WHAT YOU WANT AND WHEN YOU WANT IT.
There is one positive thing that I see from all the passionate posts this thread and that is the fact that they are powerful evidence as to how good Knoppix really is. I had an opprotunity to help a friend who purchased a copy of Lindows, and maybe it's just that I have hacked on Knoppix for a long time, but I wouldn't even think about trading it for Lindows. Knoppix is good stuff and it will be ready when it's ready. I for one think that it's pretty cool that I'm getting a product which works better for me than Lindows and don't have to pay for it. Consequently, I can wait, and encourage the rest of you to do the same.
______
EDIT
______
Evermore, maybe one of the other mods will move or freeze this thread, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet. I'll think about doing it though if people get abusive. I think the other thread you are talking about is the one I started regarding the release of 3.4 in two weeks (made many weeks ago). People need to realize that this announcement was orignally made with regard to the release of Knoppix in the German Ct Magazine and then later at CeBit. This happened completely as announced. I never meant to say that 3.4 would be downloadable in two weeks.
my point about the paypal reference is firstly, this thread was started by a developer asking for suggestions on improving a product. it has deviated so far from that any suggestions pertinent to that intention is lost in a muddle of nonsense.
if you want to give someone a donation, these things aren't hard to do.
it's a hell of alot harder to get money from someone than it is give it.
at the least, start a new thread.
it's about time and place.
and aay, i would believe that klaus doesn't browse this forum anymore due to the multitude of posts, as well as the irrelevant nature of the posts.
but i've been following knoppix since 3.1, have successfully remastered a number of times from information gathered from this forum. i've been browsing this forum for a long time, and i know for a fact that there was a time when things said IN THIS FORUM were directly related to what was included on the releases. there was a time when you could ask klaus a question in these pages and he would directly participate in worthy threads.
there are many people here, including fabianx, who have worked tremendously hard and participated greatly in making knoppix as publically recognized as it is today.
knoppix is the definition of open source; a man with a great idea and the openness to involve a forum and gracefully accept input from that forum in the improvement of that product.
is that what's happening on these pages now?
recognize these men for what they have DONE, what they are DOING, and the direction that they are taking this great product.
a productive forum is all about ideas and collaberation, not bitching and whining about 'c'mon klaus, you're LAAAAAATE!'.
I am astonished that anyone would create something as useful as Knoppix, then give it away. I didn't want to say anything because then Klaus might charge for it, and because this thread already has about a thousand posts.
But then I realized, who has time to read all these posts? So I'd just like to take this opportunity to give Klaus a big thanks - and ask how soon will he release the new version?
Thanks, Klaus. Good on ya.
I hope that v3.4 will be as good as the other ones, and i think it will.
We will have to wait and see. My other suggestion would be: maybe its time for Klaus Knopper to form a team of developers for Knoppix, so that he only needs to check and decide about the end release and has more time for his other work. (knoppix Developers Team) .
cybernout.
First - I have great respect for the Knoppix team, and wish to say THANK YOU! I'd hate to be associated with the "bunch of whiners" pushing the team ;)
One interesting fact I noticed - most of the releases were issued on Mondays! :D Just an observation, nothing more.
61k views of the thread and growing. Do you think we will hit 70k soon? I think so. One more THUMBS UP for Knoppix.
Regards,
Smith
Comment 1 posted by bt (131.246.89.xxx) on Mon May 3 22:36:33 2004
* V3.4-2004-05-03 (experimental)
- switched from syslinux to isolinux (no emulation) boot method
- Kernel 2.4.26 (default) and Kernel 2.6.5 (as boot option)
with ACPI enabled (use knoppix acpi=off in case of problems,
knoppix26 to try Kernel 2.6)
- New wireless drivers for: ipw2100 ("Centrino"(TM)), madwifi, hostap
- captive-ntfs installer
- live-installer by Fabian Franz
- KDE 3.2.2
- kdevelop3
- OpenOffice 1.1.1 (german and english)
- gimp 2.0
- Had to remove the entire latex system (101MB) because of space reasons
- Removed KOffice for the same reason
- /dev/modem setup tool supporting serial, USB, bluetooth and irda devices
- gprs connection tool
- lots of improvements in the hardware detection and new boot options, please
check knoppix-cheatcodes.txt.
this DE-version in BT is out!
few secongs ago EN is post there!
Name: KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN
Info Hash: ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3
Added: 2004 05/03 23:39:03
Size: 696.21 MB
Knoppix V3.4 out.
Available at: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/
Both EN and DE version.
Thread continued here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45952