Well apache might but other services won't unless installed as root;Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
Like I said; it would be nice to be able to convert from userland to a real install but I can also see why not!
Printable View
Well apache might but other services won't unless installed as root;Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
Like I said; it would be nice to be able to convert from userland to a real install but I can also see why not!
Hello all,
I would suggest an IRC channel on http://freenode.net
#klik
I am no expert in the open software movement
but should there be a GNU General Public License
statement on the KILK site?
I am submitting a recipe for a console application.
Best Wishes
paradocs
If you want the community to collaborate in this project, it must be Licence GPL, and after that the project will start to grow rapidly in to a development collaborative, community effort.
If this is not GPL you wont get any effort from me and others of the community.
Be a winner, you are a winner. Make the winner move.
Make it GPL for a winning future ;)
Good luck!
# Open the door and you will start to see poeple come in!
If GPL'd it, how could we make sure there was *one* klik store and not 1001? ;) imho a LOT of its usability will come from the fact that there is ONE klik software store where ALL the apps are found.Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick
How can we solve this? Make just the recipes GPL but not the klik client and the PHP server part?
It dosen't matter if there is 1001 servers around the clock... we will not start collaborate on 1001 projects.
One thing matter here, the true klik server with knoppix. You see there is only on true knoppix.
To resolve what you think is a prob... is to stop thinking what others will do! And start focusing on what you want to do with yours, thats'it thats all, and we will follow.
Make it all GPL if you are a true winner :idea:
Basically I think you need to talk to knopper....
If its included then it should be GPL....
If its included on the CD it really doesn't matter a hoot if someone tries to fork because basically its the one on the CD....
However, since you don't wanna support HD install (and I understand why) then it should be GPL so someone else can have a go :D
well, since klik is mainly a website it doesn't have to be "included" - what maybe could be included is a link to the klik store.Quote:
Originally Posted by gowator
I'll think about it thoroughly. Probably I will go GPL for most parts, I'll keep you updated.Quote:
Originally Posted by gowator
Why does KLIK not work when using the HD install?
Its not that it doesn't work per se
when you install to HDD you change some stuff and it basically beomes a customised pre-configured debian but mainly your FREE to permanantly add packages.
When you install more packages you do so as root with apt-get or kpackage whatever.
This writes packages to certain places, some of which your knoppix account or other user accounts won't have access to.
Some programs, especially servers need root access to start or run.
Also when you add these they are added to your init.d and started everytime you boot.
You can create persitent home and even with a bit of imagination copy these every time to the correct place after booting from a normal Cd or even remaster your own Cd. But thats NOT a standard knoppix anymore.
Whats important is the order of things!
Take a typical server running DHCP, BIND, apache with php and mysql and also routing.
These must be started in the right order....
Non of them (except mysql) could be started without the network interface up.
bind must be started before dhcp if you want the pc's that attach to bind to the default route. etc etc. if your routing then you must start IP tables before bind etc
apache can start right at the end,
klik and run is a 'userland' installer. It just installs the stuff for that user so its limited but only in the same way as a normal LIVE cd.
klik and run works on the premise that you have a standard knoppix, it even needs to know the version....
The applications are installed in your home and run from there.
so basically if you install to HD your NOT the same as the standard but it will work well enough mostly.
However, if you change an app in apt-get and it modifes libraries these might not be compatible. so it might not run!!!
I haven't seen this mentioned yet: Has anyone here ever heard of zero-install?
http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/