Why Every New Version of Knoppix Don't Work On my PC?
Linux Distros are supposed to get better,right? Unfortunately that is not the case for one of my 2 PCs. It's a celeron 433 based self built. It used to work up until version 06-06-03 of knoppix then the succeeding version won't boot at all.
Then came 3.4 which is still experimental. Still it won't boot.
Some of you might jump into conclusion that I have an old pc that needs replacement. Well I do have an athlon2400 based pc that works ok with the latest knoppix. But my point is,how will you ever convince people to switch to linux if every new version does not work on a particular pc? Compare that to any version of a certain OS which works on 99 percent of PCs?
Cheatcode scsi instead of noscsi ?
Hi,
yes, this aic7xxx (and maybe other scsi) driver does a lot of bad things. I have one computer with only scsi disks (aic7xxx) and also there I have to boot in expert mode to avoid hangs after testing the scsi drivers :( . I think it would be better to create a new cheatcode "scsi=xxx" or "scanscsi" so the majority of users isn't bothered with these problems.
Just my 0.02 EUR
Ciao Martin
Re: Why Every New Version of Knoppix Don't Work On my PC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongski55
Linux Distros are supposed to get better,right? Unfortunately that is not the case for one of my 2 PCs. It's a celeron 433 based self built. It used to work up until version 06-06-03 of knoppix then the succeeding version won't boot at all.
Then came 3.4 which is still experimental. Still it won't boot.
Some of you might jump into conclusion that I have an old pc that needs replacement. Well I do have an athlon2400 based pc that works ok with the latest knoppix. But my point is,how will you ever convince people to switch to linux if every new version does not work on a particular pc? Compare that to any version of a certain OS which works on 99 percent of PCs?
That _is_ a kernel problem. So your bug report should go to there. Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat and most other ditsros have patched kernels.
We use mostly plain vanilla, which avoids hardware problems on most machines.
Of course you could try to boot with 3.4 and kernel 2.6.
To the scsi-issue: There are more people using it, than you think. SCSI is not exotic and also Windows with some version makes problems on one of my PCs, which has to use noscsi.
But what is the difference?
With knoppix you can use noscsi, with many other distros not ...
Btw. afaik aic7xxx was dropped from Knoppix miniroot long ago. Dunno if its there again ...
cu
Fabian
PS: As far as I know Knoppix still has one of the best hardware-detections, yet.