Impressions of 2.6 kernel
Hi All
I finally got around to downloading and HD installing the latest Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6.6 kernel.
Obviously this is completely subjective, but somehow it does actually "feel" faster. In particular, the mouse seems much more responsive and moves faster than before.
Has anybody else noticed any difference?
Re: Impressions of 2.6 kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearinghairout
Hi All
.... In particular, the mouse seems much more responsive and moves faster than before.
Haven't been using 2.6; no built-in support for wheelmouse. I read somewhere of a workaround to get wheelmouse working but it's easier just to stick with the 2.4 kernel.
Re: Impressions of 2.6 kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearinghairout
Hi All
.... In particular, the mouse seems much more responsive and moves faster than before.
Haven't been using 2.6; no built-in support for wheelmouse. I read somewhere of a workaround to get wheelmouse working but it's easier just to stick with the 2.4 kernel.
I have the kernel 2.6.6, and a mouse with the scroll wheel, and it works fine... And I think the mouse is setup, from the install, as a generic mouse too...
Not sure on "technology" things at the time, is a wheel-mouse what I am talking about, or is it something that has more than one scroll-wheel? A friend has one, it can scroll both up and down, and side to side - mine only has the vertical. But it works fine in the new kernel...
Clueless,
Ms. Cuddles
Re: Impressions of 2.6 kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearinghairout
Hi All
.... In particular, the mouse seems much more responsive and moves faster than before.
Haven't been using 2.6; no built-in support for wheelmouse. I read somewhere of a workaround to get wheelmouse working but it's easier just to stick with the 2.4 kernel.
Wheelmice work fine as it is not kernel related. Have a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. ;)
This is for my USB mouse (with scrollwheel). :)
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
$ uname -a
Linux cromag 2.6.8-rc2 #2 Thu Jul 22 16:13:51 MDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux