Do new ideas discussed here ever actually find their way back into Knoppix? Do the developers read this site, or does anyone take what seem to be generally agreed upon good ideas back to them?
Printable View
Do new ideas discussed here ever actually find their way back into Knoppix? Do the developers read this site, or does anyone take what seem to be generally agreed upon good ideas back to them?
In urgent cases you might try http://www.knopper.net/kontakt/?kontakt=knoppix - but it is stated there that Klaus Knopper has still 4500 unread E-mails ;)
Also, there is a developer mailing list, but I don't know who reads that and how often.
Greetings,
probono
:shock: 4500?!?!?!?
I certainly don't have anything I would think is urgent, and I expect others have a lot better ideas than I (I'm very impressed by a few of the refinements of Kanotix and hope whoever did them can get them back into Knoppix, for example). But I was making another post of something that I think might be a viable idea, and was wondering if talking about such things here was really meaningful at all. Doesn't do us any good at all if we come up with some great ideas, people make sugestions and refine them, and everyone agrees that Knoppix would be better for it, if the concepts we come up with never make it back to the people who can actually get the things into the iso files.Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
Well, this recent post from Fabian, along with the open buglist dating back to the May 10th release of v.3.4, and the three month gap since the last release should tell us something. Nobody seems to be home, and all I can conclude is that the real development must be taking place in the derivative works (e.g., Kanotix). I hate to see Knoppix just wither away like this, and I certainly don't mean to criticize or complain, but it does appear as if Knoppix's "golden age" has already passed.Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
jd
Well, that's the nature of competition, which is good for everyone ;-) But let's hope Knoppix will one day catch up again. Sometimes distro A is ahead, and sometimes distro B is. What the Knoppix progress in the last time tells us is that what would be really needed is a more open development model instead of a centralized one. (But I guess that would be "Debianix" and not "Knoppix" then.)Quote:
Originally Posted by j.drake
There's no question, Knoppix has set new standards for distros and created the base for a large number of deviations. That alone makes Knoppix famous forever and we all should be thankful to Klaus Knopper, Fabian and all the others. But personally I would agree with you, Kanotix is leading in terms of innovation and development at this moment.
Greetings,
probono
I read the ideas forum from time to time. (Now for example.)Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Klaus and me both read the [email protected] mailing list.
Knoppix has gotten from 3.6 to 3.7 (not released to public yet) a firewall module, a new text-mode modem detection and some more goodies. So don't tell that knoppix is dead. Its not ;-).
Kanotix certainly is very innovative at the moment. And that is very good. but we'll see what comes with Knoppix 3.8 ;-). (which is just in planning phase at the moment)
I'm working on a new installer upgrade finally hopefully fixing all those glitches of the old version ...
cu
Fabian
I am interested in a voice interface Knoppix edition that incorporates various open source accessibility technologies. I use Knoppix regularly and have made gifts of several dozen copies. I have tried one edition for the blind but it only had a braille interface. Most blind or vision impaired people do not know braille. A Knoppix edition to demonstrate the power of open source solutions for accessibility could also be of use to average users and the illiterate. Thank you. :)
Specifically my ideas are:
-Voice interface i.e. screen reader and voice recognition
-Artificial Intelligence interface with avatars
-Optional simplified layouts and color schemes
-Accessibility friendly programs
This sounds like a great idea, but I would think it would be best approached by remastering an existing Knoppix rather than incorporating these technologies into the original releases. As it is a lot of good applications have been cut out of Knoppix to allow it to continue to fit on CD and still make space for new things and larger kernels. On a disk with the tools you list, you might want to remove some of the more visual applications (starting with some games that I would expect would make sense to remove). Alternately, if you established a good working set of open source tools, I would think they could certainly be included on a future DVD release of Knoppix.Quote:
Originally Posted by knoppix-accessibility
i say that the next version of knoppix include like a service pack thing where instead of downloading new version and then burning onto new cd and scrapping old.....
there should be a function where you can use old knoppix..boot to desktop and then stick in update cd..to update to ver 3.X..
or as it is booting linux on liveCD! puase and put updated version in cd drive to boot with updated files...
good idea yes/no??
or too much time??