put CD/boot-options run automaticly/ready
Hey I want to make a special knoppix CD for a laptop some teachers are using in my school. The problem is: They don't want to enter the boot options each time they start. So I have to make an CD, that starts automaticly without having to enter the options and pressing return. I mean you just put the CD in, enable the computer and wait. HOW?
Re: put CD/boot-options run automaticly/ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_breakfast
Hey I want to make a special knoppix CD for a laptop some teachers are using in my school. The problem is: They don't want to enter the boot options each time they start. So I have to make an CD, that starts automaticly without having to enter the options and pressing return. I mean you just put the CD in, enable the computer and wait. HOW?
I kind of would like to do this too, since it gets old typing in the same cheat codes each time I boot the CD. Of course you can remaster. But I'm not ready to do that myself yet. A simpler approach would seem to be targeted at the isolinux.cfg file burried in the original iso (in the directory isolinux under directory boot). This file controls the options when Knoppix starts. I was looking into hex editing it, but Fabian modifies another tool to let a user replace one file with another, as long as they were the same length. I'm busy with several other things at the moment, but it looks very much liike it should do the job and let us extract, modify and replace the isolinux.cfg file (and perhaps other files too). You might want to read this thread and get a copy and try it. There is a lot of extra stuff in the isolinux.cfg file that can be discarded to make room for the cheat codes you want, just make sure the file you will replace isolinux with is the same size. And if you do, please post back your results.