how to install knoppix (HD install)
hey,
i'm using knoppix (live cd) for some time and I want to install some programs, but almost every program says that it can't write to the filesystem (probably because these files are on the cd).
because of that and more (have a proper linux) I wanted to install knoppix on my hd, and I hv 2 questions:
first : how I install knoppik into my hd? what is the command or where I find it?
seconed : can I install it in external hd? the problem is that knoppix don't see that hd, only after it loads all the drivers.
thanks.
Re: how to install knoppix (HD install)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimi
hey,
i'm using knoppix (live cd) for some time and I want to install some programs, but almost every program says that it can't write to the filesystem (probably because these files are on the cd).
<cut>
I think that your problem may be caused by the read-only mounting of the hard disk.
In fact, when knoppix is booted from the cd, by default it mounts all the found hd partitions in read-only mode, to avoid any accidental damage to the stored data.
You can enable writing to the hard disk by remounting the partition in read-write mode: simply right click on the partition icon in the desktop, and select the menu command "remount in read-write mode" or "change write flag" (or something like that, i don't remember it exactly).
See also http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt
galaxy