Problems with Belkin WiFi
I'm currently having issues with installing my wireless NIC under Knoppix v3.6 and v3.7 (using the 2.6 kernel). The card is a Belkin F5D7000uk 802.11g card, and it runs a Broadcom chipset (bcmwl5.inf). I have run the ndiswrapper tool in Knoppix using it's graphical frontend, when i locate my .inf file and hit OK, the program closes and Linux freezes. Darn! BUT... When I run ndiswrapper through the shell, as root user, it says it has installed the drivers, along with a message that theres no such thing as /etc/..... or something like that. And the iwconfig cannot see any network adapters installed. Any ideas as to what I should do now? I want to get this ironed out before I proceed with installing Knoppix to my hard drive.
Thanks.
Re: Problems with Belkin WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iD:0t
I'm currently having issues with installing my wireless NIC under Knoppix v3.6 and v3.7 (using the 2.6 kernel). The card is a Belkin F5D7000uk 802.11g card, and it runs a Broadcom chipset (bcmwl5.inf). I have run the ndiswrapper tool in Knoppix using it's graphical frontend, when i locate my .inf file and hit OK, the program closes and Linux freezes. Darn! BUT... When I run ndiswrapper through the shell, as root user, it says it has installed the drivers, along with a message that theres no such thing as /etc/..... or something like that. And the iwconfig cannot see any network adapters installed. Any ideas as to what I should do now? I want to get this ironed out before I proceed with installing Knoppix to my hard drive.
Thanks.
Hello.
Hmmm... this sounds strange.
I use both a Belkin F5D7000uk and F5D7010uk card with Knoppix with no problems. Indeed I posted a HowTo which is a sticky in this forum.
I have never had or heard of this problem.
A couple of things to start with:
1. What version of the card are you using? -- I am using v2.
2. Have you tried it with 2.4? and if you have, have you been successful?
3. Try installing the bcmwl5.inf file from your installation CD into a high level directory under M$; e.g. C:\ say call it C:\Belkin and try the proceedure from there. I would also include all the files that occur with the bcmwl5.inf as well. I am not sure whether they are needed but this is what I did and it worked...
Report back and hopefully we can get you sorted out ...
However, regarding an HD install ... I have heard that HD installs are not straightforward under Knoppix -- unless the situation has changed in the last month or so. If you want a distro that is simple and powerful for a first HD install I can highly recommend MEPIS. I am using that and getting used to it first before trying to install Knoppix.
Hope to help.
Regards,
Grant D. Vallance