Help please - how do I install a ethernet card driver???
I'm a new Knoppix user - so far my impressions are very positive. However - I can't seem to get past first base when it comes to basic stuff.
I have two very basic questions - can someone please help me?
I want to connect my machine (P3, 500Mhz, Knoppix version 3.7; kernel 2.4.27, hard disk install) to the internet. I bought (from StarTech.com)and physically installed a cheepo ethernet card (ST100SW with a RTL81390D chip) - which knoppix failed to detect. The floppy disk that came with the card did not include a Linux driver but I was able to find several after googling "RTL81390D". Realtek Semiconductor Corp, the company that made this chip has several Linux drivers available on its web site:
(http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=16&Software=True#16Unix%20(Linux))
The web site has 11 different Linux drivers - 3 of which seem to be appropriate for my version of Knoppix (see list below).
* Linux driver for kernel 2.4.x (RedHat 7.2/ 7.3/ 8.0/ 9.0)
* Slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.2.19 and 2.4.5)
* SCO Unix
Can someone please tell me which driver I should use?
My last question is how the heck do I install a driver for an ethernet card? Do I simply copy it to /lib/modules? Do I have to "recompile the kernel"? (I have no idea how to do that!) Please help! I've spent a lot of time googling to find this information and have not been successfull.
Re: Help please - how do I install a ethernet card driver???
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
I'm a new Knoppix user.......
I want to connect my machine (P3, 500Mhz, Knoppix version 3.7; kernel 2.4.27, hard disk install) to the internet. I bought (from StarTech.com)and physically installed a cheepo ethernet card (ST100SW with a RTL81390D chip) - which knoppix failed to detect.
It just amazes me that people call themselves new Knoppix users but yet they insist on installing what is intended as a Live CD to their hard disk.
In my experience I would expect Knoppix to detect your ethernet interface just fine, and in fact you haven't posted any information on if it does or not. Failing to properly access the Internet is an extremely common problem after a hard disk install. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but from two years of watching the forums I would say that it is the most common problem after a hard disk install and it certainly has been going on for at least two years. I would suggest a very simple experiment: Boot Knoppix the way God intended, from CD, and see if it detects your ethernet that way. If it does and you have a system that gives you a DHCP setup then you will likely be on the Internet as soon as the boot finishes. If you are using DLS and for some crazy reason are not using a router, then you likely will also have to deal with PPPoE setup. But you should be able to determine if Knoppix can detect your card this way. If it does then your problem is not Knoppix lacking the right driver, it is the very common problem of Knoppix failing to run the network properly after a hard disk install. You can search both this forum and the hard disk install forum for problems related to that issue. Such posts really belong in the HDD install forum and most have been moved there, but there have been so many that there are likely a fair number of old posts about it here too.