It can all be done in Knoppix
Hello to all, I am a former Mac Addict (I used to love Macs) then along came OS X... an ok OS, but frankly the learning curve taught me UNIX, which in turn led me to LINUX, well the rest is history, I made it my mission to replace everything I do on a mac in linux. I work for a publishing comapny and I am almost fully switched over, for a while I used mandrake on a PPC, but it is buggy on a mac, so I loaded Knoppix onto an old (really old) i686 and boom everything I need.
Here is a list of what is needed.
Photoshop = The Gimp/Kooka
Illustrator = Sketch/Karbon14/Scribus
Indesign/Quark= Scribus
And that's it... Scribus lets me create a PDF which I can send off to the printers and it's ready to go.
My biggest complaints, fonts, but I need to learn how to add fonts, I have about 3000 mac postscript and truetype fonts, I am sure there is a way to do it, I just need to learn. Also Barcode creation, there are several options, again I need to learn the installs etc. So if you really want to do it... linux more than measures up.
now if Knoppix ever ported to a PPC, I could use all these old Macs I have.
Re: It can all be done in Knoppix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono64
And that's it... Scribus lets me create a PDF which I can send off to the printers and it's ready to go.
Open Office also lets you print to PDF. The new beta version even makes this a bit easier and for the first time includes this function in the windows version as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono64
My biggest complaints, fonts, but I need to learn how to add fonts, I have about 3000 mac postscript and truetype fonts, I am sure there is a way to do it, I just need to learn.
To install fonts just open the KDE control center, go to System, and locate the Font Installer. It's pretty easy from there. You can also simply create a .fonts directory in your home directory and place your fonts in there. The will then be available to the local user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono64
Also Barcode creation, there are several options, again I need to learn the installs etc.
Kbarcode looks like a really nice app for this. There is no debian version (yet) but I imagine it won't take too long for someone to make one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono64
]So if you really want to do it... linux more than measures up. now if Knoppix ever ported to a PPC, I could use all these old Macs I have.
There is a debian ppc version. If thats a bit over the top then you can look at Yellow Dog Linux which is designed soley to run on macs.