Totally replacing Windows 98
I tried searching, honest...
I've just finished downloading the knoppix live cd and have ran it successfully a few times on my older Gateway with Windows98 on it, but because everything is having to load from the cd, it's running very slowly. I'm ready to get rid of Windows and run only on Linux, what is the best way to do this? Thanks.
Re: Totally replacing Windows 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
what is the best way to do this?
There is no best way. There are many ways that work for different users. One popular way, and what I would suggest is to install Debian. Debian is the Linux distro that the Knoppix Live CD is based on. But there are other Linux distros too, and some users like them. Since this is basically a Knoppix forum I expect you'll find more people here who like Debian than other different distros.
There are some peole who "install" Knoppix to hard disk. But this usually causes problems, as Knoppix is a mix of different Debian releases and wasn't intended for install to hard disk. If you feel you must install Knoppix, at least read through the subjects in the hdd install forum to understand what you are in for.
Another Live CD that is said to install somewhat cleaner than Knoppix is Kantonix. It's based on Knoppix but uses more parts from one version of Debian. I have not installed Kantonix and am not advising that you do so, just mentioning that many people think it is a more stable way of installing a live CD than Knoppix. I would still suggest Debian. It may take a little more work to get everything you want set up the first time than installing a Live CD, but you will get exactly what you want without a lot of things you don't, you will learn in the process, and you will have a more stable and supportable system in the end.