booting from ISO on hard drive
Ok, this should be simple, but I can’t get this to work.
I have a laptop. There are two partitions on the drive which are “C:\” and “D:\”. The C drive is a WinXP partition and it’s formatted for NTFS. The D drive is a FAT32 partition (no OS).
When I use a Knoppix Live CD, the disks show up has “/mnt/hda1” (C drive) and “/mnt/hda5” (D drive).
I have a directory on “/mnt/hda5” called “knoppix”. In this directory, I have the version 3.9 ISO. The full/exact name of the file is “KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso”.
From reading the cheat codes, I should be able to boot from the ISO on the hard drive.
I have tried the following:
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix bootfrom=/mnt/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix fromhd=/mnt/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
None of the above has worked.
How do I get this to work?
Thanks in advance.
GF
Re: booting from ISO on hard drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzofonts
I have tried the following:
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix bootfrom=/mnt/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
knoppix fromhd=/mnt/hda5/knoppix/*.iso
None of the above has worked.
How do I get this to work?
First, let's simplify. Move the iso from D:\knoppix\KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso to C:\knx.iso in Windows. Then boot with the 3.9 Knoppix CD and type boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knx.iso debug The debug cheatcode causes Knoppix to pause at various stages in the boot process and presents you with a shell prompt. You'll know if the bootfrom= cheatcode worked or not before you even get to the first stage. So, you can avoid having to go all the way through hardware detection and starting KDE. Once you get to the first stage, you can reboot with Alt-SysRq-B and try the next step. Did the bootfrom= cheatcode work in this case? If it did not, check for typos, because this should work.
Next, move C:\knx.iso to D:\knx.iso in Windows and boot from the CD with boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knx.iso debug Did the bootfrom= cheatcode work in this case?
Next, move D:\knx.iso to D:\knoppix\knx.iso in Windows and boot from the CD with boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/knx.iso debug Did the bootfrom= cheatcode work in this case?
Next, update your grub.conf with bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/knx.iso debug Did the bootfrom= cheatcode work in this case?
Let us know what worked and what didn't.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/