Working with a persistent home on a NTFS partition
Hi everybody,
since I thought this is very hot question, I was expecting there was exactly what I need on
this forum, but google didn't help me too much. Sorry if you're tired reading about that.
General problem:
I'm trying to figure out how to explain to students how they can work with knoppix
with a very wide range of possible hardware. Of course, a student might have a rather new
PC with NTFS only on the HD, without a floppy drive, without any USB peripheral to save his files
(I know this is very unsafe, but students do it).
Therefore, in such an "extreme" case it's very important to be able to work with a persistent home
on a NTFS partition.
Good news:
I did a few tries and I successfully created a persistent home. Let me recall the main steps I did with a
Knoppix 4.0.2 (for the benefit of any interested reader):
1) Put the CD in the driver during a Windows working session;
copy the "MkImage-ct.exe" utility from the CD to the HD, then execute it.
The dialog window is in german, but it is very simple to create a file KNOPPIX.IMG in the root
directory of your NTFS partition.
2) Reboot and start the Knoppix session, then you can run the creation of a persistent home
by clicking on the Knoppix menu -> configure -> create persistent home.
You must choice the same file you previously created in the Windows session, so that you
don't modify the dimensions of any existing (or not) file. This procedure seems safe enough
to Knoppix, which warns you are doing a delicate stuff, but it does the job.
This procedure is a little different and simpler with respect that suggested at the web page
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...076&highlight=
The procedure suggested there didn't work in my tries, but perhaps that was good for the
Knoppix 3.8 only.
Bad news:
Every time I finished a working session in Knoppix (even without writing any file in the persistent
home, but I guess the system does it) and I rebooted, I couldn't immediately reload my persistent
home, because it appeared a message saying (at the end):
"the NTFS filesystem needs to be brought into a consistent state first by using
the Windows (TM) scandisk/chkdisk utility".
Afterwards, the Knoppix session could continue without working on the persistent home.
Thus, I've been forced to reboot again the PC, starting Windows, which did the check of the disk
and automatically rebooted. Therefore, I could restart either a new Windows session or a Knoppix
session with a persistent home where I've found my files.
Problem:
everything seems work correctly, BUT it seems that, after having worked with Knoppix with a
persistent home, I'm everytime forced to restart a Windows session (I've tried it more than once).
Question:
do you know how to avoid passing through Windows?
Many thanks for any help,
ciao,
Ugo
P.S. Of course, I could suggest to the students to resize ntfs and create a new (vfat or something in
linux) partition, where they can safely out the persistent home; but I guess they would be scared
about resizing.....
Re: Working with a persistent home on a NTFS partition
I'd strongly recommend an external USB device. Many companies are giving away small USB sticks as swag. 16 MB is plenty for some simple file saving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugo
Question:
do you know how to avoid passing through Windows?
IIRC, you don't actually enter a full Windows session, but rather just it runs a chkdsk which then reboots.
But to answer your questions, try ntfsfix. I've never used it but it sounds like it might do the trick. The way this might work is to boot using the "-b" cheatcode (e.g. boot: knoppix -b) which drops you into emergency mode. Once there, type "ntfsfix /dev/hda1" assuming /dev/hda1 holds the ntfs partition. When it's done, type exit to continue booting Knoppix.
Give that a try and let us know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugo
P.S. Of course, I could suggest to the students to resize ntfs and create a new (vfat or something in
linux) partition, where they can safely out the persistent home; but I guess they would be scared
about resizing.....
IMHO, resizing is the best option if you don't have an external USB device. After resizing you should create a new ext2 partition to hold a persistent disk image (PDI). I used this method quite a bit in the internet cafes and kiosks while travelling in Argentina. I'd copy both the ISO from the CD and the PDI from my USB key to the disk. I'd also create a swapfile on the partition and booted using the "bootfrom=" cheatcode. When I was done I'd boot again and copy the PDI to my USB key. On slow machines this worked much faster than using the CD.
Good luck and let us know what works for you.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org