formatting whole drives with knoppix
I am a noob so...... I have an old(ish) server that was hacked and I am pretty sure is now as viral as a chinese chicken.
ERGO I wish to format all (there are 8 of 'em) SCSI drives and reinstall an OS.
I am getting more and more interested in LINUX so project no1 (not including Smoothwall which ROCKS).
I want to examine the partitions via Knoppix.
Should I use fdisc or what I am a little confused here.
Any advice gratefully received.
It would be nice to examine the disks also before I send their data to the great electromagnet in the sky
Thnks folks :wink:
Re: formatting whole drives with knoppix
Quote:
Originally Posted by niblok
It would be nice to examine the disks also before I send their data ...
So what are you asking here? If you have used Knoppix at all it should be simple to examine any partitions that are there, assuming the infections have not destroyed the partitions or the partition tables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niblok
Should I use fdisc or what I am a little confused here.
There are several partitioning tools, including fdisk (not fdisc). fdisk should server you fine. It is worth noting that if you just go ahead and run a Debian installer (not Knoppix, Debian, one of the Linux distros intended for hard disk install) it will offer you the chance to just use an entire hard disk. You will want to go back and recover the space for the other seven on your own though, and again fdisk is a viable tool for this.