GHOST PACKAGE? LINUX-KERNEL-HEADERS-KNOPPIX
have A BIG problem trying to install the NVIDIA chipset driver for audio and network on a laptop (Gateway MX3410). I installed Knoppix 5.0.1 on HDD and ran the NVIDIA installer, at the end of building the module it says that it encountered some error. Looking at the log, I can see there is some error during compilation. Digging a little deeper, I found a package in Knoppix DVD (linux-kernel-headers-knoppix) that has a lot of missing files and which is maintained by mr. Klaus Knopper but which is nowhere to be found on the net. I've been googling around for it and nada, niente, nope, nothing. So I'm just wondering, is this some bad joke or what? Is it Open Source or Open Curse?
Some time ago, I was able to find a website with a lot of kernel sources for all the knoppixes, but now I just can't find anything. So the knoppix-specific packages are to be TOP SECRET. At least that's what results.
Anybody has any answer about this? Anyone has any idea what should I do to find the kernel sources for knoppix kernels? Pay somebody to deliver them or what?
Maybe post a notice on the knoppix.org, knopper net and so on saying that knoppix is no longer open source and it has just closed. At least there won't be anyone else like me wasting a lot of time with this knoppix and finding a trap. :twisted:
linux-kernel-headers-knoppix
OK, so posmanet says that linux-kernel-headers-knoppix package in knoppix dvd is THE SAME THING with linux-headers from debian ? I'm not clear, this is that you say? Am I wrong or linux-kernel-headers-knoppix is a MODIFIED version of linux-headers from debian ?
linux-kernel-headers-knoppix
Thank you for replying posmanet. But see, if you boot the Knoppix DVD and open the KDE Package Manager, and you look at the linux-kernel-headers-knoppix package, you will also see a description for it: "Symlinks to unpackaged Kernel header files for KNOPPIX". So this is not about the HEADERS, it's about some SYMLINKS to them. As a matter of fact the size of this package is only 36000 bytes, so it could not possibly contain the headers. I'm not an expert C programmer, but I know what C headers are.
The thing is, if you again take a look at this package you will see two other things: "conflicts: linux-kernel-headers, replaces: linux-kernel-headers". So, since this is a replacement for linux-kernel-headers, it cannot be THE SAME THING. If it were, then there would be no need for linux-kernel-headers-knoppix, would it ?
And again, this package is nowhere to be found on the net, although it's just a bunch of symlinks. Why, I don't know, but one thing I know: if it's not there, it's CLOSED SOURCE.
The situation is the same for 4.0.2 DVD. And also I have to say I have been trying to find the kernel sources for 2.6.12 version 10.00 Custom (for 4.0.2 DVD) on the net, they are also nowhere to be found. And of course, you can see the maintainer for this package is also mr. Klaus Knopper... OK, you can say they are the same as the "official" version, but they are not. There are 2 exceptions at least. And anyway, I couldn't find even the "official" 2.6.12-10 (maybe there isn't one, and 10 is just an invention by mr. Knopper...)
Examining the missing files, I definitely can notice that a lot of them are supposed to be symlinks to headers to different architectures' headers, which don't exist in the kernel sources on the DVD either, for obvious reasons. But not all of the missing files are in this category. Again, I'm not an expert C programmer and I cannot say for sure if the missing files are the cause for failure at compilation of various programs, like ndiswrapper for instance.
One thing I can tell you though, I was doing a lot of surgery and remastering on Knoppix 3.6, and I was able to find at that time (one year ago) a site (developer.linuxtag.net) that had a lot of sources for knoppix custom kernels, including the two ones used in 3.6. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS compiling anything in 3.6 after I had those sources!! Good ol' times ...
Re: linux-kernel-headers-knoppix
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_Xnest
And again, this package is nowhere to be found on the net, although it's just a bunch of symlinks. Why, I don't know, but one thing I know: if it's not there, it's CLOSED SOURCE.
The situation is the same for 4.0.2 DVD. And also I have to say I have been trying to find the kernel sources for 2.6.12 version 10.00 Custom (for 4.0.2 DVD) on the net, they are also nowhere to be found. And of course, you can see the maintainer for this package is also mr. Klaus Knopper...
They are not closed source - they are open source, but you just can't download them for free.
You can order them from mr. Knopper for the cost of material, copying, packaging and postage.
Also, some knoppix-packages can be downloaded from http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/, but not all.