USERS GUIDE: I want to make one but....
I want to make a Users Guide for KNOPPIX!
I will need a few things from other people. Namely:
1.) People to review and check accuracy / typos. And make suggestions to the flow and readability.
2.) People quite familiar with the inner workings of linux (KNOPPIX in particular).
3.) Some ideas on where the book should start and where to end. (Don't let the simplicity of that fool you. After all... This is a thing I would like to use to allow M$ users to become acquainted with Linux in general)
4.) Mabey even someone to help!
Mabey I'm not the most qualified person in the world but I don't see a full guide anywhere on the internet for knoppix. That said... I was primarily a M$ user up until M$ F&^*ed my computer and 4 mos. of work. I like Linux and understand the basic principals but I was frustrated by the lack of previous-M$-user oriented "break-in" instruction available. So I think I'll make my own. Any help is appreciated and welcome.
If you want to see some of my (crappier) writing style, see my topic in the general support section entitled:
[poll] Putting stuff on your M$ C: drive and the possible pitfalls
Feel free to use my material...
--Feel free to scavenge my posts on this board (and the original board on Linuxtag) and use them in your book. All I ask is that you credit me properly for the posts that you use**. (And it would be a good idea to maybe GPL the book and post it online.)
8)
** Perhaps you could include a "This chapter / instruction / tidbit contributed by Dave Bechtel" or somesuch, or use a "shortcut" tag to my credit listing at the end.
RE: Users Guide for KNOPPIX!
I, too, think this is a good idea, and I can be of some help. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Linux & Knoppix (yet), but as a trained and experienced technical writer & editor, I can certainly help with clarity/spelling/proofreading.
Has anyone given any thought to setting it up as a WikiWiki page with limited edit access? That would allow viewing as a work-in-progress and interactive editing by those authorized. Additions and suggestions by others could be held off-page until vetted by whomever was in charge (individual? committee?).
Should the project have a name (to indicate, among other things, that it's not "official")?