Can't find My Documents (userfiles)
After my Win XP crashed, I've been using a Knoppix boot CD. All my HD-files are accessable, except from My Documents. Probably because they were limited to my user account in XP. (?) The "guest" profiles My Documents is showing, but not mine.
Does anyone know how I can access these files? It's really important to me. (My XP crashed WHILE backup'ing them.)
Help is very highly appreciated!
Thanks
Howie
Can't find My Documents (userfiles)
I would like to backup some windows xp NTFS files from Knoppix 5.1.1-CD but I do not see the location:
In /media/hda2/Documents and Settings/ I see: All users;Default User;LocalService;NetworkService
But I can not see "martin aurélie" user directory.
I do not know why. Is it due to accent in user name or is this hidden or I miss something?
Could someone help me? :)
Thank you,
Henri
Try using either a find or an ls command
Use the Linux equivalent of either a search or a directory with recursion command. Search for either a specific file name which you remember or for *.doc. or *.xls
I would try first in the Documents and Settings folder. If that doesn't work search the whole hard drive. There is also
the possibility that your folder is stored on another partition or drive. The fact you see only the basic system folders:
All users;Default User;LocalService;NetworkService in Documents and Settings leads me to suspect your profile
and files are stored elsewhere.
The my documents under all users is shared documents. The default user is the template used to generate a new user.