Help! Nedd to recover files
I'm sorry if this has been posted. I searched back a while, and didn't find any answers. I'm new to Linux and have never used knoppix before (obviously) My Windows crashed, and won't boot, so that's why I'm using knoppix. I'm trying to recover files before I reinstall Windows. The hard drive is fine. I'm just totally lost trying to find the files. The knoppix desktop has Hard Disk[ sda], which I can't get into. When I try to open it I get an error could not mount device could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified. There is Hard Disk [sr0], which I can open, and assume is the cd rom drive where Knoppix booted from, and Hard Disk [sr1], which I guess is the DVD RW drive.
Is the first one Hard Disk [sda] my hard drive? And how do get into it? From what I've read I need to mount it, then open it? But how do I do this, because as I said ever time I try to mount it I get the errror message. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Re: Help! Nedd to recover files
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk39shadow
I'm sorry if this has been posted. I searched back a while, and didn't find any answers. I'm new to Linux and have never used knoppix before (obviously) My Windows crashed, and won't boot, so that's why I'm using knoppix. I'm trying to recover files before I reinstall Windows. The hard drive is fine. I'm just totally lost trying to find the files. The knoppix desktop has Hard Disk[ sda], which I can't get into. When I try to open it I get an error could not mount device could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified. There is Hard Disk [sr0], which I can open, and assume is the cd rom drive where Knoppix booted from, and Hard Disk [sr1], which I guess is the DVD RW drive.
Is the first one Hard Disk [sda] my hard drive? And how do get into it? From what I've read I need to mount it, then open it? But how do I do this, because as I said ever time I try to mount it I get the errror message. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Detailed computer hardware information please.
sda is probably your entire hard drive, assuming you have an SATA hard drive. Normally, the individual partitions appear with numbers at the end of the name. For example:
sda1 39MB Dell diagnostic utility partition
sda2 39.96GB Windows NTFS
and you would click on the "sda2" icon in order to mount your MSWindows "C:\" drive and get the files.
If you do not have icons for each data partition, then it probably means one of three things:
1) Your hard drive controller and driver is not being detected/loaded properly.
2) Your hard drive has suffered a catastrophic failure due to stuck head crash / motor bearing failure / controller card failure.
3) Your drive is physically O.K., but your master boot record and partition table has been corrupted.
For #1, particularly if it is an Intel ICH5/6 SATA hard drive controller, the solution is to reboot multiple times and eventually your drive icon will appear. A better solution is to download the previous (bug free) version of KNOPPIX at version 5.01
You could also try a different rescue tool like the "Ultimate Boot CD" for example.
For #2, you can usually tell by going into your computer BIOS. If the drive does not appear on your BIOS device list, then it is probably cooked.
For #3, you can use the Linux partition recovery tool called "Gpart":
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/
This tool can scan your hard drive and figure out where each of your partitions are located and help you to rebuild a partition table.
And as a last resort, you can use a program called photorec to find many files even if your filesystem is corrupted. See for example:
http://servers.linux.com/servers/06/...tid=119&tid=13