Problems mounting harddrives on knoppix 3.2 (vfat)
Hello.
I am a super nube as far as linux goes. I have been playing with various graphical and text forms for about a year or 2 on and off and I absolutely love knoppix however...
I am having several showstopping problems with it. For now I deal with the fact that on 2 different computers the downloaded knoppix 3.1(beta kdd) and 3.2 (I think) are unable to mount a partition on one computer and now 3.2 cannot mount a partition on mine.
The error message I recieve (verbatim for one device):
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdb1,
or too many mounted file systems
<end of error>
I looked through the config files, I believe filesystems in etc and vfat is listed and doesn't have nodev in front.
I checked etc/fstab and it lists the 2 drives/partitions that won't mount with the fallowing information (where __ is a letter and number):
/dev/hd__ /mnt/hd__ auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
It took me a while but I managed to activate the konsole (love the play on words) for superuser and tried typing mount -t vfat <device> and all i got was instructions on how to view the manual (very helpfull info but no progress).
As far as too many file systems (don't know what that means exactly) but I was able to mount other drives fine.
After searching around and reading a few posts (all that seemed apply in my searches) I found no fixes. I am at an utter loss and am in need for this to work as I have a seperate computer problem that I am trying to mount this drive to fix.
Re: Problems mounting harddrives on knoppix 3.2 (vfat)
As root, try it like this:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda? /mnt/hda?
-OR-
# mount -t auto /dev/hda? /mnt/hda?
You need to make sure mount points are defined in /etc/fstab if you want the easy mount commands like so:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda?
You can't mount a drive into thin air- it must have a mount point. Also that mount point must exist in the directory /mnt.
Do this:
cd /mnt
ls
That will list all of your existing mount points. You can mount any drive to any mount point like so:
# mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/cdrom
Oooooooh now that's just insane isn't it? ;)
Re: Problems mounting harddrives on knoppix 3.2 (vfat)
--Post results of ' fdisk -l ' as root (open up konsole in kde, ' sudo bash ', then the command, cut+paste, Ctrl-D to logout of root.) FYI, if the partition is not FORMATTED with a filesystem, it will not mount. Are you sure these partitions are formatted?
--In any case, if the partition is/was formatted but you can't mount it it Windoze or Linux, it may be corrupted. If the data is mission-critical, look into a data-recovery specialist in your area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profound_Darkness
Hello.
I am having several showstopping problems with it. For now I deal with the fact that on 2 different computers the downloaded knoppix 3.1(beta kdd) and 3.2 (I think) are unable to mount a partition on one computer and now 3.2 cannot mount a partition on mine.
The error message I recieve (verbatim for one device):
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdb1,
or too many mounted file systems
<end of error>
As far as too many file systems (don't know what that means exactly) but I was able to mount other drives fine.
After searching around and reading a few posts (all that seemed apply in my searches) I found no fixes. I am at an utter loss and am in need for this to work as I have a seperate computer problem that I am trying to mount this drive to fix.