Re: Suddenly can't connect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman
I fired up the Knoppix cd a bit ago. I went about making a connection the same way I did yesterday. Everything looked like it did yesterday. I got the connection has been established message. But nothing will load in either browser. I have done nothing new to this comp. The rest of the OS runs fine. It just suddenly won't load up any web pages. DSL still works fine on my winblows 98 box. Anyone have any thoughts on this, why this suddenly won't work only hours after I had it running fine. I'd really like to run this OS very much. Thanks for any help.
Kman
As the other post said, if you have a local network see if you can ping other addresses on the network (the router is a good place to start). Also, you can try netcardconfig and see if it will get you a dhcp connection, and if not you can try to manually configure the card and see if that works.
I experienced what sounds like the same problem a little over a month ago, Knoppix connected fine, then a few days later the same CD would not. I sure don't know that it's the same thing, but you might want to read through the 2 threads here I've started..
If you can't ping another local IP address, I'm very interested in finding out what the problem is. I do have a theory, but it's much more important to get the real cause than to prove my theory right. Did you run any other software on the computer since the last time Knoppix worked and connected for you? Another version of Knoppix? Another bootable CD? An operating system on your hard drive? Windows? If any of these, please tell me to the best of your ability what you ran.
If you cannot ping a local IP address (and have other devices to ping), I'm also very interested in finding out what your nic is and getting any internal information we can from it. I've posted the info on this in the other threads, so will not duplicate it here unless you ask specific questions.
Harry