Trouble copying files to USB flash drive
My laptop (Gateway M210) decided to crap out on me yesterday. From one day to the next, it wouldn't boot. I wasn't able to repair, so I suspect a bad hard drive. I installed Knoppix 3.9 to a CD and managed to boot to that ok (first time in Linux for me). I've got the web and email thru the CD-booted Knoppix, so I think I've done that step correctly.
I'm trying to retrieve my documents from the hard drive. I successfully copied a bunch of files and folders to my flash drive, then went back for another batch. Somehow in that second try I generated some unreadable incoherent files on the flash drive. When I tried to copy additional files (all jpg), either as individual files or folders, to the flash drive, I get an message that the folder can't be created. I've changed the permissions on the flash drive icon on the desktop to allow read-write to everybody (although this wasn't necessary when I successfully copied my first batch). I've also tried a different flash drive, and all three of my USB ports. Between each attempt I've rebooted. At this point, I'm at a loss on what to try next. I'm ready to nuke the hard drive, but I don't want to lose alot of the family photos on the hard drive. Help!
Tad