Copy File Transfer Speeds & Stalling [Recovery to USB HD
Hi,
Windows has corrupted and im trying to use Knoppix to copy files to my external hard drive before I format the internal drive.
I have managed to find my files using knoppix and am able to copy/paste these to my external hard drive.
I get transfer rates of up to 1000 KB/s for a few seconds then the rate drops to about 160KB/s then stalls for up to a minute before restarting at 1000KB/s and stalling again. It spends more time stalled than actually transferring data. I'm trying to copy files totalling 90GB and Knoppix is estimating that this will take 47 hours (i'm assuming that this excludes time spent stalled?).
Both the drive and the USB port are USB2.0 and I was expecting a faster transfer rate than what i'm getting, nevermind the frequent stalling.
Are these normal transfer rates or have I omitted some settings?
Or is there a better way to back-up my files?
Thanks for any help, as I'm a complete newb to all this.
Re: Copy File Transfer Speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoppixNubster
Or is there a better way to back-up my files?....
You're likely not going to be happy about hearing this and may not even accept it, but years of experience reading these forums and following the experiences of many people has me convinced that it is never safe to write to a NTFS partitioned hard drive with Knoppix. You didn't say how your USB2 drive is partitioned, so I'll assume that it is NTFS. If that is that case I would strongly suggest that you do not try to back up files to it with Knoppix, and further I would suggest that you consider the drive potentially corrupted even if you don't yet see any problems. If it were my drive I would get all of the files that are currently on it off of the drive and onto another system, and then completely reformat the drive before I had any faith in it at all.
So is there a better way to back up your files (recover your files actually, since there is obviously no backup)? This depends on the number and size of the files. For a small number of files, or small files, you can use a FAT formatted usb device, such as a flash memory "stick". For large numbers of files, and files 4 gig or larger that will not fit on a FAT partition, I like to connect two system together on a network and transfer the files across a network to another Windows machine. Since it is the second windows machine that is doing the actual file writing it is relatively safe to write to NTFS that way. (I say relatively safe because you have already demonstrated that writing to NTFS is not always safe even with Windows, let alone with Linux, and personal experience and many posts here lead me to believe that external drives under Windows are particularly vulnerable). I do this by installing a FTP server on the target Windows system and using Knoquror from Knoppix on the system to recover files from as the FTP client. There are other ways to transfer the files, but this works well and it turns out that a FTP transfer is much much faster than using Microsoft file sharing (when you can get it to work at all).
There are many completely free FTP servers available for Windows on the web.
There are other ways to do this also. You might even just want to write the files to CD or DVD with Knoppix. That would not only get them off the failing system, but would give you the real physical backup of these apparently important files that you have failed to make so far.