Does anyone prefer an older version of Knoppix over 6.2? Why
Some of you seem very happy with version 6.2 and others have complained that they don't like it.
What your favourite version and why?
What version of Knoppix have you got that you would be disappointed if you lost?
The reason I ask is because our sponsor has stopped offering older versions and I persuaded him that there's still a demand. So he's agreed to reinstate 6.0.1, 5.3.1 and 5.1.1. Does anyone still see a need for 4.x / 3.x?
Thanks for your feedback.
Clinton
Re: Does anyone prefer an older version of Knoppix over 6.2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton
What your favourite version and why?
Following up my previous post, if I had to pick only one version to have, it would be 4.02. This is the most useful version for me. Wifi support wasn't great, tricky to set up and lacking many wifi drivers that other distros of the same age had, but at least I could make it work on one of my wfi cards. I have not confirmed the reports that 6.2 is lacking pcmcia support, but if it is then it makes the new release less useful for many people and for a lot of troubleshooting and recovery work.
I certainly will be carrying a copy of 6.2 with me to use when accessing the Internet away from my home, such as at wifi hot spots. I don't trust Windows in such locations and would never access the Internet with Windows on a laptop directly from a public hot spot, but Knoppix should be safe enough as long as I don't visit a site that might use browser scripting to write malware to the hard disk (and that should be hard with 6.2 as well), and use other common sense security, such as not accessing password controlled sites unless using a https secure connection.. So the ease of use of 6.2 wifi and it's driver support for my newer notebook wifi (Broadcom) make it the obvious choice for a portable Live OS.
I can't give you a good reason for keeping any of the 3.x versions, but I do find them interesting and think that at the very least some of the oldest versions should be available somewhere for those few who wish to see how the disc has changed over the years.
And I'm not at all endeared to 5.x, I found it's poor menus an embarrassment, and I never could get wifi to work in any 5.x version, even for the wifi card that 4.02 supported. I understand that it has been useful for some people, but the 5.x releases are not ones that I want to use.