Installing 6.2.1 Knoppix on SCSI system
I have the instructions I just printed on Friday and the LiveCD 6.2.1 I downloaded on Friday also. I booted up, waiting for the GUI start page. All I see is a text menu. I pressed <CTRL><ALT><F2> and nothing happened. I had a working Debian system, so I know there is no problem and the machine is barely a year old.
I looked around the menus and found a disk formatter/installer choice, it sat for about 15 seconds and came back with "NO USABLE DRIVES FOUND". Now the odd thing is I found was an item on a menu about "Devices on your system". I selected that and everything USB, SCSI came up on the screen.
I believe there is a problem. I keep looking through the install manual and the program and it is looking for all hard drives as /dev/hdx, not /dev/sdx. I have no way of changing that and it's not an option in the BIOS.
I did find a SHELL option and tried with cfdisk to delete and existing disk and lay it out exactly as the instructions. I then went back to installation and "NO USABLE DRIVES FOUND". I gave up.
Installing Knoppix instead of playing with the toys
Well, Capricorny, you are making the assumption that I am a Newbie. New to Knoppix, yes, but, I started with "IX" back in 1975, in it's infancy as Unix. I've also been through HP-Ux, SCO, Xandros and Ubundtu. I was Director of IT for 14 years. My system is a 4 CPU 1.6G backbone SuperMicro Server with 8GB of RAM and 2 TB of SCSI disk. I think I have the right to play in Knoppix, although, just to check it out first, I did try Adrianne. Annoying little system.
I didn't think I was out of the realm of looking for a heafty system similar to Debian to replace my existing Debian system (getting out of date). Do you have any USEFUL information to add to my questions and comments? I appreciate all from people who are serious about getting the job done and right.
As a follow up, I did get Adrianne to install, again annoying. I got the full Knoppix to finally install, but I keep getting the drive letters changing on me. My hardware and current OS say first drive is /dev/sdax, Knoppix says /dev/sdkx, etc. Doesn't make any difference, After it installs completely, all I get from Grub is "Stage 1.5, Error 17, but have no idea what file is missing or what drive /dev/xxx it's looking at?