Windows Died, Can Knoppix wipe it Out and Take its Place?
Hey, my sister's a college student and somehow her Windows got destroyed on her laptop. It says Windows can't start because Windows/System32/Windows (or whatever it is but it looks like the main system to me) is missing or corrupted and it wants her repair disk which she can't find or I would have reinstalled it. So she decides she wants a whole new laptop and gave hers to me. Even if I could fix it she said I could keep it. I remembered playing with a Knoppix CD a friend sent me a few years ago (when my WinME was blue screening every few days) I don't know much, just enough to get Knoppix working on a PC, which I've already done and it works great, I got 6.4.4 DVD, and her Laptop is a Dell Insprion I believe? Anyway, it seems to be all good, I just don't know how to wipe/clean the drive, and I've read that it's not a good idea to put Knoppix on the HDD, but I'm a bit confused by all the different ways to get Debian. I just grabbed the ISO, checked the checksum and burnt it and had zero problems. Is Debian that easy to do? And can I do this without using the commands? Thanks for any help.
Ubuntu is a popular place to start
I think Ubuntu is in some ways further downstream from standard Debian than current Knoppix is, but that should not matter much - it is a very popular distro, and I think it is a good place to start - though I have not used it much myself, and not lately. If you don't care about the contents on the disk, and you think it is good enough, you can let the Ubuntu installer take care of the setup.